It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:44 pm

Weather Meter Negative Function

General topics related to Rainmeter.
MourningStar

Weather Meter Negative Function

Post by MourningStar »

My gadgets > weather meter does not work anymore. When I check the 'About' menu the log is continually displaying :

Invalid response from weather.com; retrying. (Gadgets\Weather Meter\Weather Meter.ini)
Refreshing skin (Gadgets\Weather Meter\Weather Meter.ini)
Invalid response from weather.com; retrying. (Gadgets\Weather Meter\Weather Meter.ini)

so I unloaded the gadget. Is it my system?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Weather Meter Negative Function

Post by jsmorley »

MourningStar wrote: October 1st, 2019, 9:48 pm My gadgets > weather meter does not work anymore. When I check the 'About' menu the log is continually displaying :

so I unloaded the gadget. Is it my system?
No the wxdata feed for weather.com is currently experiencing a problem. Hopefully they will fix it soon.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

^
thank you - This is the 3rd weather app this has happened. Originally I used the meter from addgadgets.com (which this rainmeter's is a clone). Then I used Objectdock's and that died as well. Hope this returns. If not can you suggest some alternates?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Unfortunately some rumors are spreading that wxdata became fee-charged:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33578#p166094
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33578&p=166117#p166097
Not sure if this is true or not, just the time will decide...
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

dvo wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 10:03 am just wait and see if it's comming back don't get stressed out for some weather stopt serving :thumbup:
and if it's gone we can see what we can do but for now just wait...
I am stress-free. However, nothing prevents anyone from answering my request for an alternate.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

MourningStar wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 1:43 pm I am stress-free. However, nothing prevents anyone from answering my request for an alternate.
I'm not sure what the best alternative is going to be at this point. It will take some time to have the entire community poke around and see what it out there that is reasonable.

Many if not all of the alternative feeds are locked down a bit by the use of an API key, which can either be expensive, or very limited in the number of calls you can make to it in a day.

Another alternative is to "screen scrape" a site, like weather.com or yahoo weather, but given that that will be based on a webpage layout that can (and almost certainly will) change at the whim of the page developer, that will mean an ongoing effort to keep it current, and no doubt will have some level of frustration.

I was, and still am, hopeful that this issue with wxdata is temporary, but if it isn't, we all have some work ahead of us.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

jsmorley wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pmI'm not sure what the best alternative is going to be at this point. It will take some time to have the entire community poke around and see what it out there that is reasonable. ... I was, and still am, hopeful that this issue with wxdata is temporary, but if it isn't, we all have some work ahead of us.
Thank you for this important information and all others for theirs.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

As of this writing, the feed seems to be back up.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 4:52 pm As of this writing, the feed seems to be back up.
Right. It is indeed. Very good. Question is how long.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

jsmorley wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 4:52 pm As of this writing, the feed seems to be back up.
YES!!!!!