It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:01 pm

CPU Usage Tweaks

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Rhor

CPU Usage Tweaks

Post by Rhor »

Hello.

Newbie trying out Rainmeter.
I was able to adapt and/or create some skins. I have 7 in total now in constant display on the desktop.
Tweaking the "Update" sections in each skin, Rainmeter now stays with a constant CPU use of 2.30% to 3.10%. Is that "normal"?, suggestions it make it go lower perhaps?. I don't use visualizers.
I am using an Intel Core i7 7700HQ.

Thank you.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: CPU Usage Tweaks

Post by jsmorley »

While not outrageous, that does seem a bit high to me. The best way to approach it is to unload skins and see if you can find one or more that are particularly "expensive" to run. Then we can look at those individually to see what about them is something that can perhaps be improved.
Rhor

Post by Rhor »

Thank you for the insight.
I did that, and without any skins loaded, it is still the same CPU usage.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

With no skins loaded at all, Rainmeter simply must use zero CPU, or as close enough to zero not to matter. There has to be something else going on with your system that is causing Rainmeter to use CPU aside from the skins it is running. Running skins is all Rainmeter does... There really is no other "overhead".
Rhor

Post by Rhor »

Yes, that is what I thought, but I see no way for me to troubleshoot that issue.
I will try to delete this installation and start from zero to see if there is any change.

EDIT: It made a world of difference. New portable installation, copied my skins and layout, and now the CPU Usage hovers around 0.86% - 1.60%. Still not good enough?
Last edited by Rhor on June 4th, 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Rhor wrote:Yes, that is what I thought, but I see no way for me to troubleshoot that issue.
I will try to delete this installation and start from zero to see if there is any change.
Before you delete something, try to close Rainmeter and check the usage. How is it?
Rhor

Post by Rhor »

balala wrote:Before you delete something, try to close Rainmeter and check the usage. How is it?
The usage is normal. I am using Process Explorer to monitor.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rhor wrote:Yes, that is what I thought, but I see no way for me to troubleshoot that issue.

EDIT: It made a world of difference. New portable installation, copied my skins and layout, and now the CPU Usage hovers around 0.86% - 1.60%. Still not good enough?
No, that is about right.
Rhor

Post by Rhor »

jsmorley wrote:No, that is about right.
I appreciate your assistance.