It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:21 am

Sharing Skin Codes

General topics related to Rainmeter.
F!.OW

Sharing Skin Codes

Post by F!.OW »

Rainmeter has been one of the few platforms where I can create something that doesn't have a steep learning curve. You can easily load up any skin, dissect it, change some settings and have it look and work to your liking. Distributing your creation isn't always as free and open.

For the most part, the community surrounding Rainmeter has been open. I'm just trying to understand why some people choose not to be as open. Some skins aren't licensed for modification then redistribution and such. Is it an "ego" thing? As an artist, I understand not wanting some of my work to be reinterpreted and displayed, but it's really only an issue if others are making money off of it. There's no money exchange here, not that I'm aware of. Speaking of monetary gain, how do you feel about those asking for donations, regarding their body of work surrounding Rainmeter skins?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Sharing Skin Codes

Post by jsmorley »

The thing about being "open" is that folks can roll it any way they want. If they want to try to charge for things they create in Rainmeter, go for it. We won't support that on the forums, as the point of the forums is a truly open and sharing community where everyone is learning something new every day from each other. So we won't allow discussions about money and Rainmeter, nor host or support skins that anyone charges for. Outside of the forums, folks can do anything they want with Rainmeter. To each his own. As to asking for donations, I don't have a real problem with that, as long as it is entirely optional. We still won't allow it on the forums though.
F!.OW

Post by F!.OW »

jsmorley wrote:The thing about being "open" is that folks can roll it any way they want. If they want to try to charge for things they create in Rainmeter, go for it.
I think I understand. As an example, is it something like Linux being open source, and someone can build then sell their version of a Linux Distribution?

I guess my question is more about taking the moral high ground. There are elements from other skins that I'd like to incorporate into my own, but because their code is not open for redistribution, I can't share my skin(s) publicly. I'd like to credit the original author, but what's stopping me or anyone else from taking said code, changing variable, meter, measure names and calling it our own? There's only so many ways you can create a skin and unless the original code is doing something unique, it'll be hard to prove you used their code.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

F!.OW wrote:I think I understand. As an example, is it something like Linux being open source, and someone can build then sell their version of a Linux Distribution?

I guess my question is more about taking the moral high ground. There are elements from other skins that I'd like to incorporate into my own, but because their code is not open for redistribution, I can't share my skin(s) publicly. I'd like to credit the original author, but what's stopping me or anyone else from taking said code, changing variable, meter, measure names and calling it our own? There's only so many ways you can create a skin and unless the original code is doing something unique, it'll be hard to prove you used their code.
It's not for me or anyone else to guide your path through this world, young grasshopper. You must seek your own karma.

Personally, if someone puts a restrictive license on a skin, I accept that and so be it. I prefer to create my own skins from scratch in any case.
F!.OW

Post by F!.OW »

jsmorley wrote:It's not for me or anyone else to guide your path through this world, young grasshopper. You must seek your own karma.

Personally, if someone puts a restrictive license on a skin, I accept that and so be it. I prefer to create my own skins from scratch in any case.
Yes, Sensei. I understand. Hehe

I, too, accept the restrictions. So I just look for a skin that's more "share-friendly". I prefer to create my own skins as well, but my programming knowledge is limited, especially when it comes to more complex routines.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Certainly if you use graphics from a skin, or just take code from a skin and use it, rather that adapting the "idea" to your own skin, you should at least give credit. Even if it is just a particularly clever "idea", and you are re-creating it from scratch, you should at least give credit.

If the author has a "no derivatives" license, then so be it. They are not a part of the Rainmeter "community", and their skins are best ignored.

Most Rainmeter authors don't expect that folks won't build on their ideas, they just want to be credited if you do.

Personally, I don't even need any credit if someone uses my skins or any idea or graphics from my skins. Everything I have even done is simply building on the wealth of experience from the community. Besides that, having an author give me credit creates the risk of someone try to contact me to "thank me", and since I hate people, (I have one "friend" on Facebook, and I'm pretty sure it's a bot) that isn't much of a reward...
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

jsmorley wrote: Most Rainmeter authors don't expect that folks won't build on their ideas, they just want to be credited if you do.
Agreed, most of the first skins I did were based of jsmorley''s or a few others and I did try to remember to credit them. No I do my own stuff, give credit when I remember and expect other people to look at my code and use whatever they like for their own.