It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:37 pm

Help with Windows on ARM using Qualcomm CPUs

General topics related to Rainmeter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Help with Windows on ARM using Qualcomm CPUs

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello all!

I'm looking for some help from someone in the Rainmeter community. Specifically, I would like to hear from anyone who has or can get their hands on one of the new Windows 10 on ARM (a.k.a., "Always Connected") PCs, ...OR an old Windows RT machine with a Qualcomm (Snapdragon) CPU. I'm not interested in Windows RT machines with Intel/nVidia/TI CPUs; I believe the only RT machines with Qualcomm CPUs are the Lumia 2520, Dell XPS10, and Samsung Ativ tablets. Perhaps you know one of the 12 people who bought a Windows RT tablet...? ;)

I'm trying to find the answer to the following question:

For the registry key...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0
...what is the value of VendorIdentifier?

We all know the value of this entry for Intel and AMD CPUs, but I'm trying to find the value for Qualcomm CPUs running any flavor of Windows (RT or 10). A clear screenshot of the Registry Editor for this key would be great.

Thanks!
fonpaolo

Re: Help with Windows on ARM using Qualcomm CPUs

Post by fonpaolo »

Sorry to resume this thread, but I think you've solved the problem, since I'm also interested, can you share what you've discovered?
Thanks.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

fonpaolo wrote:Sorry to resume this thread, but I think you've solved the problem, since I'm also interested, can you share what you've discovered?
Thanks.
Actually, I have not solved this yet. :( I basically punted and used a work-around, but I'm still very interested in getting an answer to this question. Unless I get a response, my only recourse at this point is to find a Microsoft store where they have these and check out one of their demo units. I'll post anything I find here...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Thanks SilverAzide, I can't find anyone who's actually using that kind of hardware.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

fonpaolo wrote: April 26th, 2018, 10:09 pm Thanks SilverAzide, I can't find anyone who's actually using that kind of hardware.
Waking up this thread... I finally found a user who is running an ARM-based Windows device. Here is what a Snapdragon CPU looks like in the registry.
81025147-5516e580-8e3b-11ea-873a-1653d56a1392.png
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: May 5th, 2020, 11:01 am Waking up this thread... I finally found a user who is running an ARM-based Windows device. Here is what a Snapdragon CPU looks like in the registry.

81025147-5516e580-8e3b-11ea-873a-1653d56a1392.png
You needed that value to put a corresponding icon in your skins for Qualcomm, I suppose? Or to shorten text?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: May 7th, 2020, 10:26 am You needed that value to put a corresponding icon in your skins for Qualcomm, I suppose? Or to shorten text?
Or both! ;) The icon is there, but confirmation is nice to have. According to the user, Rainmeter and HWiNFO both run fine on an ARM processor, which I guess is more of a testament to Microsoft.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: May 7th, 2020, 11:58 am Or both! ;) The icon is there, but confirmation is nice to have. According to the user, Rainmeter and HWiNFO both run fine on an ARM processor, which I guess is more of a testament to Microsoft.
I see. :D
Well, it seems odd that you couldn't find a screenshot from an ARM Registry before. Getting an actual user to "interrogate" on this is much harder, in my view, but I'm glad you finally managed to find one. :lol: