It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:10 pm

New to Rainmeter - question about sending emails

General topics related to Rainmeter.
tf2addict

New to Rainmeter - question about sending emails

Post by tf2addict »

I just discovered Rainmeter, awesome app. I'm looking into using it as a monitoring system for a small server farm. Creating a dashboard will be simple enough (most of the data will be coming from server URLs) but I also want to be able to generate text messages to my phone (probably through an email gateway) when certain conditions are met such as a server not responding or certain parameters from the server that are out-of-range. So I need the ability to run logic in script and the ability to send an email. I'm assuming that is possible?
tjhrulz
Developer

Re: New to Rainmeter - question about sending emails

Post by tjhrulz »

I split your question up into two parts, how to write your own scripts for Rainmeter and how to send emails. Since you seem to have some scripting knowledge I was rather in depth with all the different ways so you can find what works best for you.

Rainmeter does have script logic possible, it basically comes in a few forms and which you chose is up to you. 3rd party plugins, running external scripts/executables, and we also have more native support for lua scripts. (There also is a 3rd party plugin to do the same for python)

3rd party plugins can be written in C++ or C#, will need to be compiled but once that is done they will function just like a standard Rainmeter measure. The content related to plugins can be found on the side panel on the developers page. https://docs.rainmeter.net/developers/

For scripts if you are using Lua use a Script Measure(At the top of a page is a help guide for Lua scripting for Rainmeter) if you want to run a .bat, .exe, or any command line command I would use RunCommand. If you already have a way to send emails that can be done from the command line RunCommand should be your easiest bet.

Sending emails using Rainmeter is not one I have heard before, it should be doable but it may be a little complex. Due to the way Lua is integrated with Rainmeter one can not use external compiled libraries like LuaSocket so Lua is out. Best bet would probably to find an external program that can send emails from command line, a quick google got me http://www.blat.net/
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: New to Rainmeter - question about sending emails

Post by eclectic-tech »

tjhrulz wrote:...
2. Sending emails using Rainmeter is not one I have heard before, it should be doable but it may be a little complex. Due to the way Lua is integrated with Rainmeter one can not use external compiled libraries like LuaSocket so Lua is out. Best bet would probably to find an external program that can send emails from command line, a quick google got me http://www.blat.net/
Past forum member MoshiAB created Sphynx Mailer. I have not used it, but it may give you some ideas for your project.