It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:50 pm

Does the number of the skins count on windows start up time?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
kyriakos876

Does the number of the skins count on windows start up time?

Post by kyriakos876 »

As an non-SSD user, Rainmeter really affects the start-up time and sometimes it can take 5 minutes before I can use the computer. So my question is: Does it mater if I have 3 or 9 skins loaded, or is the only thing slowing down the start-up process, the Rainmeter itself as a program?

-Thanks in advance.
fonpaolo

Re: Does the number of the skins count on windows start up time?

Post by fonpaolo »

I highly doubt that Rainmeter can be the one guilty in this case.

I don't know your computer specs and your OS version, but with my "old" Win 7 Pro rig, it starts in less than a minute and I have...
...well ...more than 30 skins, of which some are using WebParser and "hit" about ten different sites.

edit: as a side note, it's still the first OS installation, never reinstalled again, and it runs from more than six years. ;-)
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

fonpaolo wrote:I highly doubt that Rainmeter can be the one guilty in this case.

I don't know your computer specs and your OS version, but with my "old" Win 7 Pro rig, it starts in less than a minute and I have...
...well ...more than 30 skins, of which some are using WebParser and "hit" about ten different sites.

edit: as a side note, it's still the first OS installation, never reinstalled again, and it runs from more than six years. ;-)
My PC is almost 8 y.o. but it's all about hard drives with this issue as I can tell. And yes, Rainmeter is a big parameter when it comes to start-up times. I'm not saying it's entirely Rainmeter's fault. I have CoreTemp and Nvidi Capture Server Proxy as well in the start-up, but when I disable Rainmeter I see a considerable amount of time going down from ~5 minutes to ~2 (That is so that I can click Chrome and for it to actually be able to respond.)

-Win 10-64bit btw but I have made many reinstalls or full wipe of the disk due to fatal issues.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Well, Win 10 should be more fast (with some "tricks", but who cares...)

First of all, I'm still using an Hard Disk, not an SSD.
Second... if you notice so much difference, the only suggestion I can give you, is to find out which skin is the responsible of your problem.

Third, probably you already know and use them, but CCleaner and maybe a Boot and register optimizer, may be of help.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

fonpaolo wrote:Well, Win 10 should be more fast (with some "tricks", but who cares...)

First of all, I'm still using an Hard Disk, not an SSD.
Second... if you notice so much difference, the only suggestion I can give you, is to find out which skin is the responsible of your problem.

Third, probably you already know and use them, but CCleaner and maybe a Boot and register optimizer, may be of help.
To be honest, I've tried a variety of things including the programs you mentioned above, but none of them did anything.
Also, I use skins I have written and I know how they work. Trust me when I say they require the minimum effort to run. Almost no update rates and barely any parsing done. That's why I'm trying to figure out what causes the latency. Anyway, it could be so many things I just asked due to a possible "something" I'm not seeing here.. :???:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Perform the "second" suggestion in jsmorley's post on Layouts about keeping the Rainmeter.ini "clean".
jsmorley wrote:...The second thing that Layout can do for you is to keep your Rainmeter.ini file tuned up. It's important to understand that once a skin is loaded in Rainmeter, an entry for it is created in Rainmeter.ini, and that entry will basically stay there forever, even if you delete the skin itself. So over time, as you load and unload skins to try them out, the Rainmeter.ini file can get loaded up with unneeded and unwanted [ConfigName] entries. If you let this go long enough, it can actually impact how long it takes Rainmeter to "start up"....
Follow the steps in that post and see if it improves your startup time. :thumbup:
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

eclectic-tech wrote: Follow the steps in that post and see if it improves your startup time. :thumbup:
Cleared a file of almost 1MB . There was indeed a lot of useless stuff in there :D Thanks for pointing me there. It actually improved the start-up time :)