It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:40 am

Tool to remove USB drives

General topics related to Rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Tool to remove USB drives

Post by balala »

I'm working on a skins suite and would need a tool to can easily remove the removable USB drives. My first thought was to use NirCmd, but to my surprise, I couldn't find a command to use this app for a such task. My first question would be if someone knows a such command?
If that's not possible, could you recommend another tool? Obviously I'd need one which would work in command line mode (to can use it with my skin) and preferably would be one which would work silently, in background, without showing a window (as WinCmd does). Finally this last thing is not extremely important, because the RunCommand plugin can handle this very good, but if anyone knows a such tool , I'd like to try it.

Many thanks in advance.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Tool to remove USB drives

Post by jsmorley »

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yeah, I checked this tool, but it's too large. Probably would be good (and finally if I won't find a better one, I'll use this one), but the downloaded exe has around 4MB and I'd like to avoid including a such large exe into my package.
I'm still trying to find a way to use NirCmd, but couldn't find a proper command. This would be the best solution for me.
Thanks anyway.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

I also recommend you this tool, it's very useful.
As a side note, if you don't want to display the popup window, using a config file, you can eject your usb drive with a right mouse click, as in my skins. ;-)

edit to add: I'm currently using 1.3.0.3 and it's only 954 kb... :???: ...now it's 4 MB? O.O
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Thanks dvo, probably there I'll find a good enough tool.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:Yeah, I checked this tool, but it's too large. Probably would be good (and finally if I won't find a better one, I'll use this one), but the downloaded exe has around 4MB and I'd like to avoid including a such large exe into my package.
I'm still trying to find a way to use NirCmd, but couldn't find a proper command. This would be the best solution for me.
Thanks anyway.

Huh. The version I have is 900kb or so.
USB_Disk_Eject.zip
(916.51 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:Huh. The version I have is 900kb or so.
This one indeed is much smaller then what I've found on the web. It seems there are more versions available, all of them with different sizes. Thanks for this one.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote:I also recommend you this tool, it's very useful.
As a side note, if you don't want to display the popup window, using a config file, you can eject your usb drive with a right mouse click, as in my skins. ;-)

edit to add: I'm currently using 1.3.0.3 and it's only 954 kb... :???: ...now it's 4 MB? O.O
Thanks fonpaolo, jsmorley in the meantime also gave me (posted) the same 1.3.0.3 version, which indeed is smaller then 1 MB. Thanks for the tip.
lysy1993lbn

Post by lysy1993lbn »

I'm assuming you're going to use that in a skin, so you need command-line only utility.

Take a look at http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html only ~80 Kb
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

lysy1993lbn wrote:I'm assuming you're going to use that in a skin, so you need command-line only utility.
Right.
lysy1993lbn wrote:Take a look at http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html only ~80 Kb
I checked this one, too. The only disadvantage of it is that it has two different versions for x86 and x64 systems, so when I'll publish my skin, I'll have to add measures to use the proper version. Not impossible, but I'd like to avoid this.
Anyway thanks for the info.