It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:19 pm

Money from Rainmeter, Is it allowded ?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
MunaNazzal

Money from Rainmeter, Is it allowded ?

Post by MunaNazzal »

Hello everyone,

I am a new Rainmeter skin developer. So, I still do not know alot of general rules about Rainmeter.
My Question is : Is it allowded to make money from Rainmeter Skins ? I don't mean by selling them, but by Ads - eg, Adfly.

Thank you,
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Money from Rainmeter, Is it allowded ?

Post by jsmorley »

You are free to do what you want with Rainmeter. I will say however that any attempt to make money from Rainmeter skins will receive pretty universal condemnation from the Rainmeter community, and for sure no hint of such will be allowed on these forums.

Rainmeter is free, it is aggressively open source, and has become successful primarily because of the open sharing of skins that has created a pretty robust and friendly community. I'm sure you can see that selling skins, or adding advertising to skins, is not a great fit in that world.
MunaNazzal

Post by MunaNazzal »

jsmorley wrote:You are free to do what you want with Rainmeter. I will say however that any attempt to make money from Rainmeter skins will receive pretty universal condemnation from the Rainmeter community, and for sure no hint of such will be allowed on these forums.

Rainmeter is free, it is aggressively open source, and has become successful primarily because of the open sharing of skins that has created a pretty robust and friendly community. I'm sure you can see that selling skins, or adding advertising to skins, is not a great fit in that world.

Thank you Mr. Jsmorley.
You give me a clear answer. Thank you for helping.
Regrads,
aihehe

Post by aihehe »

I have also thought of this and was always curious.
You could always consider having a donation setup. Although, highly not recommended but definitely worth a shot and I say this because as mentioned, its an free open source community. No ones, really going to donate a cent due to this fact but you never know. You might stumble across something amazing to share and believe its worth a penny and so does the community.

Good luck on your en devour. Keep us posted or pm if you come up with a genius solution.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

When I create skins I do with the help of this community which offers free help. If someone used one of my skins or part of it to try and make money, they would be in violation of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0. Most if not all of us post skins with this attached.