It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:31 am

AccuWeather, Todays meeting 2009/07/16

General topics related to Rainmeter.
dragonmage
Developer

Re: AccuWeather, Todays meeting 2009/05/29

Post by dragonmage »

I agree that the community is mostly people of good intentions, but lets not forget the old "one bad apple..." I think that if the IT dept. at Accuweather is going to be monitoring the access rates, we should ask them if they could block only the IPs that are abusing the privilege. Hopefully the issue never arises, but if it does we should try to make sure that everyone doesn't have to pay for the transgressions of one (or a few).

Now to another point, is this feed and API access going to allow us to do anything that GhostMatrix has not already parsed from the regular pages?
Our feed provides current conditions and five-day forecast data. Hopefully the information contained will be what your application requires.
Will it be worth the effort of setting up this arrangement? They obviously wouldn't shut down their regular pages due to abuse, but would block the offending IPs. That is what I would ask of them for this dedicated feed as well, but if we access the regular pages they would do that by default. So, what added benefit are we going to enjoy from the dedicated feed?
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Good find.

I am sorry I didn't ask, it never occurred to me :roll:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I believe that their standard RSS feed available now is today + 2. If they are offering today + 4, that is uh... 2 days better! :D
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

@DM

They made it apparent to me that the API will not have all the information that can be retrieved by surfing several of their pages.

As for how much, I got the impression that the folks I was talking to were not absolutely certain, as this is really handled by IT folks.
I was talking to Admin and promoters, wanting to know what our needs are and how this would operate in the long term
AccuWeather promoters if you will. I was told that anything that they could not answer would be passed on to the folks that "handle that".

there is currently a long list.

Will it be better than what GM is currently doing, I am unsure, we would have to look and see what is available from the offered page.
They will not even let me have a peek until I agree.
I did not get the feeling that this was a loaded thing, rather a matter of AccuWeather policy
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

@Mr Morely

What feed address?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

Post by GhostMatrix »

Are you sure that they really understand what is Rainmeter?
I was using (and made skins for) the Desktop Sidebar (DS) application before Microsoft start to talk about their sidebar in "Longhorn", they have a similar agreement (about the logo, etc) with The Weather Channel weather.com
And yes .. some end-users found a way to not showing the logo in the weather panel, but the code for the weather panel was a part inside the application, so basically no access for it !
I'm pretty sure they think that the service will be inside of Rainmeter (but I maybe wrong!), not the case here, it's the skin who provide everything for the weather, and because of that we can guarantee the terms of use or give insure againts abuses that peoples can do, in simple world we have no control of what peoples will do with the skin code!
From our part we can only provide a default skin for AccuWeather who will meet the terms of use agreement (logo, links, update rate) we can even provide a custom folder for the skin!
............................... © Copyright GhostMatrix 2009 ..............................

And I don't think the RSS feed will provide all the weather information that you & we want for the skin.

It's up to you if you want to go on with this ...

For my part I will still continue to parse the website pages, because when Rainmeter go to parse and retrieve the weather information, it's the same thing that if I go with my browser on the AccuWeather site and consult my weather location pages myself.

And I'm very curios about the look of their logo that they will provide ?

GM
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I have a similar feeling that something in the understandings was lost, but I made it very apparent that these would be skins to a core software, and made by everyday folks.

I did explain that this would be nothing like forecastfox, but rather a software, with a set of tools, that folks develop their own skins and share them, that there would be no code security

I will be e-mailing a list of questions, and a further explanation of what parts that we can agree too, and see what their response is.

this is why I bnrought this here, because folks like you will ask the questions I will not think of
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

Post by GhostMatrix »

It's because what we call a "Skin" in Rainmeter have not the same meaning in other applications.
In Rainmeter it should be call a "Widget" or a "Gadget" because the skin act more like those! :lol:

GM
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

GhostMatrix wrote:It's because what we call a "Skin" in Rainmeter have not the same meaning in other applications.
In Rainmeter it should be call a "Widget" or a "Gadget" because the skin act more like those! :lol:

GM
Those are taken. I suggest we call them "whatchamacallits"... :mrgreen: