It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:56 pm

Building Managment

General topics related to Rainmeter.
GlassBuddah

Building Managment

Post by GlassBuddah »

So this is a strange question. I have been asked to make something for my leadership that allows them to track an entire dormitory. I'm by no means a programmer, but I guess I am somehow the most qualified for this.

What I have been asked to do is have each room be color coded regarding its functionality status (red for broken, yellow for functional but with issues, and green for no issues), have the names of who is living in the room (0-2 people), and have a status bar on the screen displaying how full the building is (percentage wise).

I have already drawn up the whole blueprint, and I have some ideas, but I don't really know how to go about doing it. I was going to use the blueprint as the desktop background, and just lay the rainmeter stuff overtop of the rooms and then in the blank space above the building put the percentage bars.

Unfortunately, people move rooms alot here, so the status of the rooms, and the occupants would have to be easily editable. For this I was thinking about just doing a bunch of individual text boxes. However, I don't know how I would then turn that into the total percentage without having it all be one single program. For the percentage part, he wants it based off of usable spots, so lets say we have 100 spots open, and 40 people, however 10 rooms are broken (so 20 spots cannot be used), which means the building would be 50% full. I honestly have no clue how to do this. I have been looking and I just have no idea..... Any and all help would be appreciated
Last edited by GlassBuddah on April 10th, 2017, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlassBuddah

Re: Building Managment

Post by GlassBuddah »

I know this is a totally weird thing to use rain meter for, and by no means its real intended use, however it seems like it might be the easiest thing to use. I thought of using Java, or just trying my hand at making my own program, but I thought that the rain meter platform would work surprisingly well for this. If you have any better alternatives, I would love suggestions, but I am way over my head.
GlassBuddah

Post by GlassBuddah »

I am tryint to make it look something like this. This is just a quick MS Paint edit, but in the real thing I would have the colors be semi transparent (just lower the alpha) and have them cover the whole room, as opposed to just being a slapped on square.
MSPAINT.png
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Well you should be able to have a file that has variables on the status of the rooms etc. That would be easy to edit.

You could then use rain meter to read the file to display that information.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

While you could certainly make a customized skin using Rainmeter to help 'manage' this dormitory, Rainmeter is probably not the best tool for you to use.

I would recommend using Microsoft Excel (or an alternative). There are lots of built-in graphing capabilities with Excel that can grab numbers from different spreadsheets and display them in nice graphs. You can also create customized graphs fairly easy.

You can use it online: https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx

Or here are some alternatives:
Open Office
Google Sheets
Libre Office

If you still want to use Rainmeter for this project, you make some time to learn our newest meter: Shape
The Bar meter will help, as well as the String meter.

Check out our docs site for more about making skins: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/
If you need some more specific help with Rainmeter and making skins, don't hesitate to ask - however we don't accept skin requests.

-Brian
GlassBuddah

Post by GlassBuddah »

Thanks for the quick replies. We used to be using excel, but for whatever reason they want it to look all flashy and don't want excel anymore. How would I make rain meter read from another document that has all the variables? Again sorry, very new to programming.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

GlassBuddah wrote:How would I make rain meter read from another document that has all the variables? Again sorry, very new to programming.
You will have to use the WebParser measure to read the text file. However, you will have to do some regular expressions to 'grab' the specific data you want. https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/webparser/

Here are some helpful guides:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/option-types/#Resources
https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/#GettingThingsDone

-Brian
GlassBuddah

Post by GlassBuddah »

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it!
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Got about 80% working Just put everything in 1 folder.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicVariables=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Metadata]
Author=CyberTheWorm
Version=Test
License=Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0
Information=test

;-------------------- Variables ----------------------
[Variables]
;Variables are set in these files
@Include1="RoomState.inc"
;-------------------- Measures ----------------------
[MeasureQty]
Measure=calc
Formula=(#Room1Qty#+#Room2Qty#+#Room3Qty#+#Room4Qty#+#Room5Qty#)/10

[MeasureQtyPercent]
Measure=calc
Formula=(#Room1Qty#+#Room2Qty#+#Room3Qty#+#Room4Qty#+#Room5Qty#)/0.1

[MeasureRoom1State]
Measure=Calc
Formula=#Room1State#

[MeasureRoom1Color]
Measure=Calc
Formula=MeasureRoom1State
IfCondition=(MeasureRoom1Color=#Bad#)
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption Room1 ImageName Red][!UpdateMeter "Room1"][!Redraw]
IfCondition2=(MeasureRoom1Color=#OK#)
IfTrueAction2=[!SetOption Room1 ImageName Yellow][!UpdateMeter "Room1"][!Redraw]
IfCondition3=(MeasureRoom1Color=#Good#)
IfTrueAction3=[!SetOption Room1 ImageName Green][!UpdateMeter "Room1"][!Redraw]
;-------------------- Meters ----------------------
[MeterBackground]
Meter=Shape
Shape=Rectangle 0,0,500,500,2,2 | Fill color 127,127,127,255 | StrokeWidth 2 | Stroke Color 200,200,200,255
X=1
Y=1

[MeterQty]
MeasureName=MeasureQty
Meter=BAR
X=100
Y=20
W=250
H=30
BarColor=185,250,160,255
SolidColor=150,150,150,255
BarOrientation=Horizontal

[MeterQtyLabel]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureQtyPercent
X=101
Y=60
FontColor=255,255,255,255
AntiAlias=1
StringAlign=Left
Text="Qty: %1%"

[Room1]
Meter=Image
ImageName=Green
X=20
Y=100

Code: Select all

;RoomState.inc
[Variables]

Bad=1
OK=2
Good=3

Room1State=#Bad#
Room1Qty=0

Room2State=#Good#
Room2Qty=0

Room3State=#Good#
Room3Qty=1

Room4State=#OK#
Room4Qty=1

Room5State=#Good#
Room5Qty=2
Yellow.png
Red.png
Green.png
Capture.PNG
GlassBuddah

Post by GlassBuddah »

Whoa! Man thank so much, I really appreciate the help!