It is currently April 24th, 2024, 4:54 pm

Write Impact of Rainmeter

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Aethrios

Write Impact of Rainmeter

Post by Aethrios »

Hey ya'll, I'm in the process of moving to an exclusively SSD-based storage system in my computer. I'm aware of some concerns about excessive writing to the drives degrading their lifespan, and although the drives I've purchased are rated for quite a significant number of terabytes written before they're liable to start encountering problems, I was curious how much constantly running rainmeter actually contributed to writing against a disk?

Normally I would be under the impression that it's a negligible amount, but when I check my rainmeter log I see a few events popping up every second or so, which made me curious how many thousands of events it's logging over the course of a given day. (note, these events are largely related to using regexp substitutes which have an odd number of parenthesis, which rainmeter thinks is a problem, while in actuality they are escaped so it works properly)
Last edited by Aethrios on November 26th, 2016, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist Enthusiast
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Write Impact of Rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

Aethrios wrote:Hey ya'll, I'm in the process of moving to an exclusively SSD-based storage system in my computer. I'm aware of some concerns about excessive writing to the drives degrading their lifespan, and although the drives I've purchased are rated for quite a significant number of terabytes written before they're liable to start encountering problems, I was curious how much constantly running rainmeter actually contributed to writing against a disk?

Normally I would be under the impression that it's a negligible amount, but when I check my rainmeter log I see a few events popping up every second or so, which made me curious how many thousands of events it's logging over the course of a given day. (note, these events are largely related to using regexp substitutes which have an odd number of parenthesis, which rainmeter thinks is a problem, while in actuality they are escaped so it works properly)
In general it should be very little. Errors or warnings are not to "written" to a physical file unless you have "Log to file" turned on in Settings.
Aethrios

Re: Write Impact of Rainmeter

Post by Aethrios »

Excellent, thank you. I appreciate your quick response.

Loving the new Shape meter by the way, it really is a lovely feature to have access to!
Minimalist Enthusiast