It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:47 pm

giving credit to people who helped you on a skin

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jumper77

giving credit to people who helped you on a skin

Post by jumper77 »

I've had some nice people help me with my skin and I would like to thank them for their help. To show my appreciation I would like to include them in the authorship section.

Good idea or bad?
USING: Rainmeter 4.0 Beta Release
jsmorley
Developer

Re: giving credit to people who helped you on a skin

Post by jsmorley »

Entirely up to you. It certainly is encouraged to give "credit" when you use other's code, or others help you, in the "description" of a submission of your skin on deviantART. However, I'm not sure I often see folks actually given "author" status in skins, since there is a subtle implication of "responsibility" for supporting the skin that some guys may not want, and in spite of their help, they may not like your end result enough to want to be identified as having "authored it".
jumper77

Post by jumper77 »

jsmorley wrote:Entirely up to you. It certainly is encouraged to give "credit" when you use other's code in the "description" of a submission of your skin on deviantART. However, I'm not sure I often see folks actually given "author" status in skins, since there is a subtle implication of "responsibility" for supporting the skin that some guys may not want.
Ok great. I will give credit then. I don't want to give authorship if it makes people responsible in any way.
Appreciate your help.
USING: Rainmeter 4.0 Beta Release
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

jumper77 wrote:Ok great. I will give credit then. I don't want to give authorship if it makes people responsible in any way.
Appreciate your help.
Yeah, at the end of the day, "authorship" sorta implies "ownership", "responsibility", and "approval", and I personally wouldn't force any of those on someone without knowing they want it.

On the other hand, just flat-out using someone else's skin code, slapping a different background image on it and posting it on deviantART as your own, with no credit for the original author, will have the wolves at your door in comments on your submission.