~Faradey~

Re: Atom has broken my skin

Post by ~Faradey~ »

@jsmorley
works like a charm :) tnx
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

For me I had to manually choose UTF-16 LE. I'm wondering how I can turn off the auto-detect feature. Why would I even need to "auto" detect if I want it to detect just proper encoding?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Active Colors wrote:For me I had to manually choose UTF-16 LE. I'm wondering how I can turn off the auto-detect feature. Why would I even need to "auto" detect if I want it to detect just proper encoding?
What is "proper encoding" in a text editor? There is no such thing. What you want it to do presumably, is detect and use whatever encoding a file already has when you load it in atom.

Anyway, I don't know. I installed atom, saw that it took at least twice as long to load, particularly with a large text file, as Notepad++, saw that I would be a week installing packages and tweaking to get it even close to the functionality I need, and just uninstalled it.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

jsmorley wrote:What you want it to do presumably, is detect and use whatever encoding a file already has when you load it in atom
Exactly what I expect from any text editor. But what Atom suggests is illogical:
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Active Colors wrote:Exactly what I expect from any text editor. But what Atom suggests is illogical:
Capture.PNG
UTF-8 for a "default" on a NEW file is perfectly logical. If it automatically converts UTF-16 LE to UTF-8 when it loads an existing file, that is terrible behavior.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

jsmorley wrote:If it automatically converts UTF-16 LE to UTF-8 when it loads an existing file, that is terrible behavior.
So, yeah, gonna uninstall it as well.