It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:38 pm

Iran people can not Download??? Anyone know why?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
sgtevmckay

Iran people can not Download??? Anyone know why?

Post by sgtevmckay »

Hello folks

I just got the following e-mail this morning.
Dear Sir/Madam

I visit your website and I found your rainmeter software so beautiful but unfortunately it has been forbidden for Iranian people! I kindly request to send your software to me, if possible.

Regards,
Name withheld
I will immediately say that it broke my heart, and I will be representing several ways for this download to be had by this individual, and any others that this person sees fit to pass Rainmeter on to.

Does anyone have any concept as to why the folks in Iran would be unable to Download from Google Code site?
  This could be an Iran lock out thing, or a Google thing, but I do not know. I do not think it to be Google  
Should we also be looking for alternate download site solutions to ensure that Rainmeter is available all?

Are there other restricted cultures and/or countries?

What are your thoughts?

Know that I am PO'ed and saddened by this, and would like to have an honest solution, or multiple solutions as needed.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Iran people can not Download??? Anyone know why?

Post by jsmorley »

sgtevmckay wrote:Hello folks

I just got the following e-mail this morning. I will immediately say that it broke my heart, and I will be representing several ways for this download to be had by this individual, and any others that this person sees fit to pass Rainmeter on to.

Does anyone have any concept as to why the folks in Iran would be unable to Download from Google Code site?
  This could be an Iran lock out thing, or a Google thing, but I do not know. I do not think it to be Google  
Should we also be looking for alternate download site solutions to ensure that Rainmeter is available all?

Are there other restricted cultures and/or countries?

What are your thoughts?

Know that I am PO'ed and saddened by this, and would like to have an honest solution, or multiple solutions as needed.
I'd say that this is very anecdotal and while it is possible that a repressive regime like Iran could be blocking access to Google or parts of Google (in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit) it is also possible that this particular user is behind some firewall (school, company, etc) that could be a factor. If we can determine that in fact the entire country of Iran can't get to Google Code, then I'm not opposed to setting up an alternative place to download from, probably here on Rainmeter.net. Probably have to manually keep it current during the beta cycle, but that wouldn't be the end of the world.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I agree with Morley, let's make sure it's not something simple first.
twothirty

Post by twothirty »

iran faced a series of civil unrest a while ago, however everyone forgot about it because media attention during that time shifted massively to michael jackson's death, which happened at around the same time. a result of this is that their government has been monitoring the internet more carefully (remember when everyone changed their twitter timezones to iranian time?), so i wouldn't be surprised if google is censored there and rainmeter happens to be collateral damage. i don't know if this is possible, but has anyone tried checking if this is indeed the fact by using an iranian proxy to try to access google/rainmeter?

also, having a mirror for rainmeter here is a good idea, incase popular file hosting websites (i.e. megaupload and rapidshare) are be blocked too.
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

As I already wrote to Kaelri, I could set up an alternate home for Rainmeter at www.rainmeter.de if you want me to ;)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I have rendered a working solution....Apparently DropBox has worked just fine, and over 100 folks out there have pulled a DL since the posting...So for now we are good.

The gentleman in question has agreed to do some homework, and see if he can narrow down what is restricting internet communications in his area...apparently in a small district 200 miles away...This restriction does not exist.

I will keep all options available....who knows exactly what is going on...or when I may be cut off out there. :roll:
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I posted a message on my deviantArt page, asking for Iranian users to verify whether or not they can download Rainmeter. I'm followed by about 200 users there, so I'm hoping for at least a small sample of responses.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Kaelri wrote:I posted a message on my deviantArt page, asking for Iranian users to verify whether or not they can download Rainmeter. I'm followed by about 200 users there, so I'm hoping for at least a small sample of responses.
I hope we hear from some of them.....In my experience The Arid cultures tend to be a little quiet and to themselves.

I mean this as no insult...I have several acquaintance in the arid regions and I fear for many of them, for various obvious reasons that I do not intend to go into.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sgtevmckay wrote: I hope we hear from some of them.....In my experience The Arid cultures tend to be a little quiet and to themselves.

I mean this as no insult...I have several acquaintance in the arid regions and I fear for many of them, for various obvious reasons that I do not intend to go into.
Just a slightly nitpicky aside...

I have heard of "Arab" as a culture, but never "Arid", although in a strange way I guess it kinda fits. However someone who is Arabic might look with some disfavor on the term. It should also be noted that Iran is NOT an Arab country. It is actually Persian by culture.
hadijafaria

Post by hadijafaria »

Yo Yo Yo
What's up guys? I'm Iranian, here to help you with your little situation! The reason this guy can't download your program is cuz google has blocked code.google.com for Iran. You can't download google chrome in Iran and use a couple of other google products in Iran either, which sucks! None of the other file hosting sites are blocked by the Iranian government. So there's an option. You can also put it on your own website, if you have one.
Hope that helps. If you have any other questions email me at hadijafaria@gmail.com cuz i don't think I'll visit this site again. I just registered to answer your question. As a matter of fact, I don't even know what rainmeter is.
Oh, Jeez. It's so hot in here. I gotta go revel in my solitude! ;)