It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:46 pm

Rainmeter Wepage Display YouTube

General topics related to Rainmeter.
mctank93

Rainmeter Wepage Display YouTube

Post by mctank93 »

OK so Ive tried and tried again, but have failed. I'm trying to make a window of sorts that works for YouTube, I want the window to consist of a search option for videos and to display video of choice in the window. When I (if ever) got that far i would add options like YouTube login and browse "My Videos", upload and so on and so on. So if any of you can help me on this or know how this could be done I would love to hear from you. So please MSG me!!!
moshi

Re: Rainmeter Wepage Display YouTube

Post by moshi »

Rainmeter is neither web browser nor a video player. so this is not possible.
if you really want this, your best bet will be coding a Chrome app.
mctank93

Post by mctank93 »

moshi wrote:Rainmeter is neither web browser nor a video player. so this is not possible.
if you really want this, your best bet will be coding a Chrome app.
ok so within rain meter there is no coding for window or web page, so could i possible make a rain meter add on for this option. if so where could i get the rain meter main files, or any idea how i would add some sort of .ini or dll, I don't know really if i should even go that far, would it be legal to edit rain meter or add to rain meter itself. Maybe I should contact the developers. lol
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mctank93 wrote: ok so within rain meter there is no coding for window or web page, so could i possible make a rain meter add on for this option. if so where could i get the rain meter main files, or any idea how i would add some sort of .ini or dll, I don't know really if i should even go that far, would it be legal to edit rain meter or add to rain meter itself. Maybe I should contact the developers. lol
http://docs.rainmeter.net/developers

I assure you that this is a fool's errand. Creating a threaded plugin .dll that will connect to YouTube and display a YouTube video Flash or HTML5 container at a size and position defined in a measure in Rainmeter is probably possible, but would be a very large and complicated project.

Rainmeter has NO support of any kind for HTML5, CSS, Javascript or any other web browser rendering functionality, certainly no Flash, and has no support for playing any media files other than .wav with the Play command.

You are perfectly free (in fact we encourage it) to create "3rd-party" plugins for Rainmeter and distribute them as you like. However, in order to do even half of what you want, your plugin would basically have to include a large percentage of some open source web browser code.

We welcome pull requests for changes to the Rainmeter project code, although we certainly don't promise to use them. It is also absolutely legal to modify and build Rainmeter for your own use. You could even legally create a "fork" of Rainmeter and distribute it, as long as it maintains the "open source" license that Rainmeter has. You couldn't call it "Rainmeter", but you could call it "BoboMeter" if you want.

While the project code is "open source", our website and documentation is not. You would not be allowed to copy and use any of that.

Feel free to go for it. However, the first answer you got is the correct one. "You can't". ;-)

[youtube]Awf45u6zrP0[/youtube]
mctank93

Post by mctank93 »

jsmorley wrote: http://docs.rainmeter.net/developers

I assure you that this is a fool's errand. Creating a threaded plugin .dll that will connect to YouTube and display a YouTube video Flash or HTML5 container at a size and position defined in a measure in Rainmeter is probably possible, but would be a very large and complicated project.

Rainmeter has NO support of any kind for HTML5, CSS, Javascript or any other web browser rendering functionality, certainly no Flash, and has no support for playing any media files other than .wav with the Play command.

You are perfectly free (in fact we encourage it) to create "3rd-party" plugins for Rainmeter and distribute them as you like. However, in order to do even half of what you want, your plugin would basically have to include a large percentage of some open source web browser code.

We welcome pull requests for changes to the Rainmeter project code, although we certainly don't promise to use them. It is also absolutely legal to modify and build Rainmeter for your own use. You could even legally create a "fork" of Rainmeter and distribute it, as long as it maintains the "open source" license that Rainmeter has. You couldn't call it "Rainmeter", but you could call it "BoboMeter" if you want.

While the project code is "open source", our website and documentation is not. You would not be allowed to copy and use any of that.

Feel free to go for it. However, the first answer you got is the correct one. "You can't". ;-)

[youtube]Awf45u6zrP0[/youtube]
Well thank you for the feed back, I totally understand the deal here, like I have said I am bored so in time there will be a 3rd party plugin for rain meter that gives you browsing access to you tube. =D

~"In Time Man Will Achieve The Greatest"~
HeyItsTJ4

Post by HeyItsTJ4 »

This is just what I was thinking, or how about adding support to NowPlaying.dll that supports pulling the video name duration and progress/position from YouTube. I'm pretty sure this is an obtainable feat for the well versed in WebParse.dll. I'm not sure if WebParse can extract anything other than xml. Feedback would be greatly appreciated on using WebParse to do exactly this, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't require much code at all for someone of this level. Although you may have to code a dll to pull the website your browser is currently on, as well as pulling the other info, or just pulling all the info from the current YouTube video that is playing. Or could you code a dll that creates an xml of the info it pulls from YouTube. Thank you in advance.