It is currently April 26th, 2024, 7:16 am

Ticker The Tape

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Yelleke

Ticker The Tape

Post by Yelleke »

Is It possible to make a Tickertape (or how do you call that), maybe thru a plugin
I would like to use it for scrolling long, artists names - song titles, in my Winamp player.
It would also be nice for other purposes, RSS, Stocks, News or even Pictures.
  if they can make games (Pong) for Rainmeter, then this must not be so hard.  
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Ticker The Tape

Post by Alex2539 »

It's easy to make something move, but for it to be useful for things like RSS feeds and the like where text is dynamic, Rainmeter would need string comparison and manipulation functions. Without those, there's really no good way to do it right now. You could have a really, really long skin with one open bit and have the text hide behind the rest, but that's not really practical in most cases.

Actually, while writing this I just came up with one idea, but it would be hell to code and would have a set maximum of characters. In fact, it may not be worth the trouble of writing it, nor the enormous amount of resources it would likely consume.
ImageImageImageImage
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Yelleke wrote:Is It possible to make a Tickertape (or how do you call that), maybe thru a plugin
I would like to use it for scrolling long, artists names - song titles, in my Winamp player.
It would also be nice for other purposes, RSS, Stocks, News or even Pictures.
  if they can make games (Pong) for Rainmeter, then this must not be so hard.  
this is an age old question.
Several requests have been posted to the Issue board at the code site, including requests to revisit.
apparently there is reluctance. Based on resource issues.
I not sure I blame the dev folks. Most scrolling banners for your desktop are seriously resource intensive....there are a number of RSS Feed desktop options that have proven this.

My feeling is: If Rainiers want it, we should serious look into it.
That being said, it may be being considered, but not an immediate future coding prospect
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

If HTML can scroll text without significant resource issues, then it should be possible in Rainmeter too (Maybe with HTML, too :D).
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

I've got an scrolling text skin in my folder, but did not make it on my own.
Peanutmayor on devART released it, but when I now looked on his profile again, I see that he has deleted all his deviations.
I hope it is not illegal to share the code here for you, he haven't written any copyright info into it and inside the archive was only the ini.
The following is only the measures for the movement; not the meters.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=18

[MeasureX]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Counter % 683

[MeasureY]
Measure=Calc
Formula=0

[MeasureMove]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Counter % 2
IfEqualValue=1
IfEqualAction=!Execute [!RainmeterMoveMeter [MeasureX] [MeasureY] MeterMove][!RainmeterMoveMeter [MeasureX] 33  MeterMove2]
Maybe this helps a bit.
I just looked into what Alex said and it works fine. You only need to create a full opacity overlay and it has to be very large. So in fact it looks quite ugly, but it works and if your wallpaper is solid colored you can easily make it fit to it. however if you have an image as wallpaper you need to use an image for the overlay... it would never be a universal solution that fits to every user. you will always have to change something about it and this requires at least the ability to look into the file and modify the variables.
Yelleke

Post by Yelleke »

Now we are going somewhere.

I have tried Bendenfield's tribute but the text goes from left to the right
how can I change that

Code: Select all

[MeasureX]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Counter % #SCREENAREAWIDTH#

[MeasureMove]
Measure=Calc