It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:23 pm

Line Meter - Capabilities

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Cheese Chaos

Line Meter - Capabilities

Post by Cheese Chaos »

I recently discovered Rainmeter when I started trying to customize my desktop. I was intrigued by all the different things you could monitor with it in conjunction the high levels of customization available. I've mostly been reading about how it works and doing related research. I've tweaked a couple skins here and there, and now I'm about to begin on my first personal skin.

I was wondering if there was any way to set the min, max, and scale of the line meter. Through the use of whatever measure the graph is using, I can set the Y min and max. Is there a way to set the X min and max? I only saw an option for turning on horizontal lines on the graph. Is there a way to change the spacing of these lines or to add vertical lines? I'm guessing that you can't do most of these things through line meters.

The main thing I'm wanting to do is change how long the graph displays information. For instance, maybe I want a meter to monitor network traffic for 5 minutes. Then I might want a meter that tracks the usage and temperature of one of my processor cores for 30 minutes. If this isn't possible with line meter, what might some other possible solutions be to achieving this effect?

Edit: If there is no way to adjust the min and max on the x-axis, what is the traversal time, i.e., how much time has to pass for a point on the graph to go from one end to the other?

Edit2: I decided I could find the traversal time myself by timing some meters I made. It seems that the traversal time is equal to the number of pixels in the line graph's width. 300 pixels = 300 seconds, or 5 minutes. Since the graph updates every second (with update set to 1000) and shifts every second, each pixel takes one second to traverse.

Traversal Time = Width of Line Meter / Updates per Second
AlC

Re: Line Meter - Capabilities

Post by AlC »

Cheese Chaos wrote:The main thing I'm wanting to do is change how long the graph displays information. For instance, maybe I want a meter to monitor network traffic for 5 minutes. Then I might want a meter that tracks the usage and temperature of one of my processor cores for 30 minutes. If this isn't possible with line meter, what might some other possible solutions be to achieving this effect?
Why do you want to do it all in ONE meter ? :)
I would create a meter for CPU and a meter for traffic and a meter for ... and then I would show/hide them.
Here is a little example skin that demonstrate it:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[Variables]
Time1=5
Time2=10
;Time in Seconds

[cTime1]
Measure=Calc
Formula=cTime1%#Time1#+1
IfEqualValue=#Time1#
IfEqualAction=!Execute [!ToggleMeter Traffic][!ToggleMeter CPU][!EnableMeasure cTime2][!DisableMeasure cTime1]

[cTime2]
Measure=Calc
Formula=cTime2%#Time2#+1
IfEqualValue=#Time2#
IfEqualAction=!Execute [!ToggleMeter Traffic][!ToggleMeter CPU][!EnableMeasure cTime1][!DisableMeasure cTime2]
Disabled=1

[Traffic]
Meter=String
X=300
Y=100
Text="Traffic"

[CPU]
Meter=String
X=r
Y=r
Text="CPU"
Hidden=1
( Of course only a example, but this would be much easier and clearer instead of doing it with dynamic variables and changing Max/MinValue ... )
Cheese Chaos

Post by Cheese Chaos »

I wasn't intending to put all that into a single meter. While your suggestions might make things easier to deal with, they're really unrelated to what I was asking about. I mentioned something I noticed about the width and update rate for line graphs. However, if I wanted to monitor anything over let's say 2 hours, I don't think it's possible with a line meter.

So I wanted to know if there was actually something I don't know about line meters that would allow me to do this, or if there are other common methods for getting what I want.
AlC

Post by AlC »

Ahh, okey I understand, Sorry.

I don't think there is something that you can do except:

increase the width
increase the UpdateRate ( or use UpdateDivider on your Meter)

like you said.

EDIT: Only a thought

Code: Select all

Update=1000

Measure=CPU
AverageSize=10

Meter=Line
Measurename=CPU
UpdateDivider=10
You would have the average value from 10 seconds CPU
And with the UpdateDivider the Meter would update every 10 seconds. -> 10x slower

I think useless with the CPU measure but with RAM or traffic it could work.

EDIT2: AverageSize
Last edited by AlC on April 3rd, 2012, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheese Chaos

Post by Cheese Chaos »

Hmm, I guess I'll have to settle for some smaller readings. It's not really too big a deal, but I like knowing what my options and limitations are.
ap1werks

Post by ap1werks »

I know this is an old post, but I was looking around for this as well.

ie., I was looking to get a smaller time interval even though I had a longer graph

In my case, my graph is 1000 pixels wide by 200 high. thats a lot of time.

My solution was to change the graph width to the time sample I wanted. in my case, I changed it to W=200

Then, and here is the key: I added a transformation matrix

TransformationMatrix=5;0;0;1;0;0

This would multiply 5x200 =1000 wide.

Shorter time interval, longer graph. The only prerequisiste is that you have a background that can contain the transform.

ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

Clever idea!

Would you consider post it in the "Community Tips and Tricks" section also?