It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:32 am

High CPU usage

General topics related to Rainmeter.
OrionsHope

Re: High CPU usage

Post by OrionsHope »

Well I thought I was done here but found something that may be of use for the future. I used a program called Process Lasso (if you're into such things, and you'll know by whether or not you know what the program does by its title ;-) this program rocks!) to do the above mentioned work. Besides all that, this app can, among other things, force a process to restart no matter what shuts it down and, since I didn't want my desktop to disappear, I set PL to do that with rainmeter.exe and it apparently doesn't like that. Along with the increased CPU usage described above, it kept forcing my screen to refresh every time because it shut itself off and PL would restart it. Since correcting that, the two programs are playing nicely together so far as I can tell, and it even stays around 10%, even with this load on it...

You can't see it because of transparency but the main Iron Man launcher and a couple others are also loaded :jawdrop 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David8192

Post by David8192 »

OrionsHope wrote: September 7th, 2021, 5:49 am While on their site, I decided to download another skin from that author and for some unknown reason, when I loaded that theme, all the settings in Rainmeter seem to have reset and every single layout, including the defaults, had disappeared.
Sometimes, when a skin author/creator makes a suite/theme, they set the Layout to be loaded on installation. Such a layout will unload any other active skin.
It's not necessarily corruption.
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X
OrionsHope

Post by OrionsHope »

Sorry but would you accept this behavior from ANY other software, free, open source, or of any kind for that matter? Upon installation, it wipes out everything like it, even though they had nothing to do with its function? Please tell me you are joking :o If you are, give me a couple of weeks to cobble something together and I'll sell it to you for real cheap :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

OrionsHope wrote: September 13th, 2021, 1:02 am Sorry but would you accept this behavior from ANY other software, free, open source, or of any kind for that matter? Upon installation, it wipes out everything like it, even though they had nothing to do with its function? Please tell me you are joking :o If you are, give me a couple of weeks to cobble something together and I'll sell it to you for real cheap :thumbup:
No, loading a Layout from a .rmskin doesn't "wipe out" anything. All a Layout is is a copy of the Rainmeter.ini file that controls which skins are loaded, where they are on the screen, and other skin-level settings like draggable and stay on screen and the like. What Rainmeter uses is the copy of Rainmeter.ini that is located in the %APPDATA%\Rainmeter folder, and all a Layout does is replace that file with another one. When the Layout is applied, the current Rainmeter.ini is saved in the @Backup folder in %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\Layouts\@Backup. In any case, nothing is changed about any skins or anything else "permanent" when you load a Layout.

I would strongly recommend that you create a Layout of your preferred setup, so you can always get back to it with a couple of clicks in the Manage/Layouts panel. While loading someone else's Layout won't hurt anything, it can be aggravating to have to reload your skins and reposition things from scratch.

In general, both here and in other posts you have made, it feels like you have the wrong impression about what Rainmeter is, and what obligation the software, and the skins made with it, has.

Rainmeter is intended as as a structure to support folks who want to create skins that display things they want on their desktop. Rainmeter itself doesn't care what skins you create, nor how you create them. We just try to give you the most robust set of tools we can, with the maximum amount of flexibility we can. It's up to you, and your creativity, to come up with things that are pleasing to you.

Rainmeter was never intended, nor do we in any way encourage, being a source of revenue for anyone. Feel free to try to sell the skins you create, it's pointless. You simply can't hide or lock down the code of your skins, and in general the community is going to reject your attempt to commercialize Rainmeter. Don't quit your day job...

We certainly DO encourage folks to freely share skins they have created. Nothing says you have to, but if you have created something you like and are proud of, why not put it out there. Someone else might like it, and someone else might learn a thing or two from how you did things. It's how new people get drawn into using Rainmeter. They find some skin that has a clock or something they really like, dig into it to see how they can change it a bit to better fit their desktop, and before you know it they are putting out their own skins for others to share.

Having said that, NOTHING is promised, and NOTHING is owed, to anyone. If you don't like a skin, don't use it. If you don't like the entire approach, by all means delete Rainmeter and move on. All talk of some kind of "standard" for Rainmeter skins, or any obligation to a "customer" of a skin is just nonsense. There are a million ways to create a skin, and none are any better than any other. Some authors go to great lengths to make it as easy as possible for an end-user to "configure" things to suit them, and others just expect the end-user to edit the code if they want to change something. It's all good...
OrionsHope

Post by OrionsHope »

Fair enough, I'm walking away...see? Thank you for the info on what happened with that incident. It appeared to as though it had because at least at that time, the window showing the layouts was completely empty and yes, I made both a layout and a skin just to cya.
David8192

Post by David8192 »

I said Unload not Wipe out.
No, loading a Layout from a .rmskin doesn't "wipe out" anything.
Thank you JSMorley.
Sorry but would you accept this behavior from ANY other software, free, open source, or of any kind for that matter?
This is the same as clicking the X on the top right corner of an app that you are done using. The app doesn't get deleted, it just closes.
Try to go through the docs every little now and then.
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X
bigi

Post by bigi »

OrionsHope wrote: September 6th, 2021, 3:24 am I'm getting an average of 20% CPU usage with my Neon Space theme and it's only that low because I've used a 3rd party application to restrict it to using only two of my available cores so that the system can utilize the rest. Currently, the first core is pegged above 80% and Core2 is constantly above 65%. Also, I've restricted its I/O priority to idle, its cpupriority to below normal and I've created rules to even further restrict the process should it exceed certain very low thresholds. If these measures are not in place, it will lock up my pc and spike it's load to unusable levels. I loaded/unloaded each skin to check for effect and then went into each of them and either turned off updates altogether, or turned them as far up as I dared and still keep the display correct. Obviously, something is funky on my end. Are there known software conflicts or some other problems I should be aware of? Troubleshooting ideas? Whatever it is, it isn't just me. Look at this guy's video in the upper right corner of his screen . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlDktSKtdBc Now, I've been given to understand that these things aren't supposed to do that so any ideas on what gives?
I have faced kinda situation what i do is to turned on Hardware Acceleration It can help take some load off of my CPU