It is currently April 18th, 2024, 2:11 am

Petition for dll video tutorial.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
kyriakos876

Petition for dll video tutorial.

Post by kyriakos876 »

It's been many times that I've had the energy to go out there and make a dll for Rainmeter, but dropped it because I didn't know how (I know C++ and some C# so coding isn't really the issue). Not being a master in programming, I can't figure out how to do it. I've looked for tutorials in the all-knowing Youtube but I couldn't make it work with Rainmeter :confused: (And of-course I didn't find a specific one of Rainmeter. If you know of any obviously link it below :Whistle )

So here I am, asking if someone would be kind enough to make a video tutorial showing how to make the simplest plugin step-by-step and then upload the source code that is created in the video, so that I (and possibly others) can experiment on. I know what I'm asking can be hard and time consuming so if someone does it I'd be obligated.

-Thanks for your time.
Jeff

Re: Petition for dll video tutorial.

Post by Jeff »

I don't have any video tutorial, sorry ;-;
Just a few motivational quotes for your stuff :3

Since C++ and C# depend a lot on Microsoft stuff, you can take any API you find in their docs, and try to make it into a Rainmeter skin, this should be pretty simple if you spend a few decades reading the docs.

If you want and have nothing to do, try making a VLC NowPlaying thingy. Hack the process and you can get info pretty easily from the shitty Lua interpretor window that it has, heck there are even get_title commands and all that. If you want you can copy paste stuff form this.

The easiest way to upload the source code is through GitHub or whatever site you wanna use, just choose your plugin folder (not the default document folder) in the horrible Github Desktop App and it should be easy to push commits when you do stuff in that folder.

However, if you can't build a dll, try changing ilasm.exe filepath like in this commit.
https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/pull/156/commits/36a006f328c23795952da900a7f52e0b62771221
I've seen enough people complain about it(@nerds in #help on /r/rainmeter's discord) and I'm still wondering how it's not fixed yet.

haha nerds
rxtd

Post by rxtd »

There is an example VS solution, which you can download and compile to get a valid .dll file that can be used as a Rainmeter plugin. For me there was a problem with missing winSDK (for c++ stuff), but I believe that it's a common issue with all VS projects.
You can get it and modify code/metadata to create your own plugin. The only thing missing here is actual code that does something but it can't be covered in any tutorial.

I'm not sure if there is something, that requires a video tutorial when all you have to do is click "build".
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

Damn... after reading your replies I feel kinda stupid....
jsmorley wrote: November 8th, 2018, 10:15 pm I assume you have followed this:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/developers/#CreatePlugin
I even missed that.... I jumped straight to the github without reading anything below in this page... I'll follow the instructions for once... :oops:

Btw I found a typo here
ewe.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kyriakos876 wrote: November 9th, 2018, 12:22 pm Btw I found a typo here
Fixed. Thanks.