It is currently September 19th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Showing active icons on rainmeter taskbar

Post your work-in-progress and completed skins to share and discuss.
GoTTeM

Showing active icons on rainmeter taskbar

Post by GoTTeM »

Well after tweaking my computer, working with rainmeter and a couple of other programs. I have found a way to hide the taskbar, keep the start button and show icons of programs currently open on the taskbar. I'm not sure if this is already possible, if so, please let me know your method. I have included a screen shot to show u what i mean :

i didn't create any of the programs i used to show the icons and hide the taskbar, i did make my own custom bar, taking from different skins and editing it. i will include credit if i write the tutorial

Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Showing active icons on rainmeter taskbar

Post by Alex2539 »

This doesn't really count as a "Tip" or a "Trick" if you aren't going to say how you did it. Moved to "Share Your Creations".
ImageImageImageImage
GoTTeM

Post by GoTTeM »

well yeah i was going to write a short tutorial on it.. but i don't want to waste my time if there is already a way to do this..
Axel

Post by Axel »

There isn't, so feel free to write the tutorial.
bucben61

Post by bucben61 »

Yes please do-I would be very interested in doing this for my desktop if you could show the way.
plaid

Post by plaid »

it is entirely possible to show running applications without using the taskbar. i do it with rocketdock. in the dock settings under "general" you can select "running application indicators." this will make a little rocketdock icon for every window or app you happen to have open.

to get rid of the taskbar, there is a nifty application called "run and hide" that you can get over at donationcoder:

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/RunAndHide/RunAndHide.exe

and here is a screenshot of them both in action:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1943/screenshotjl.jpg

please note, i am running this on windows 7 starter...ugh i hate starter, but it is what generally comes on a netbook these days. i just plug the thing into my huge monitor!
Axel

Post by Axel »

The idea is to display the open windows using a Rainmeter skin, not another application.
GoTTeM

Post by GoTTeM »

Sorry i've been a little busy with classes and all that i'm taking. But no it is not using a rainmeter skin, it's an external program called ViGlance & SH_Taskbar.

I dont think i have time to make a tutorial on how to make the WHOLE taskbar, but if you already know how to work with rainmeter, simply create your own taskbar (without adding a start button), or just find good skins you want to use.

Then download, install, and run ViGlance
http://lee-soft.com/viglance/

You can find the ViGlance program in your taskbar's tray. right click it and hit options. Edit it as you like.

It is important that you have ViGlance runing first before you start SH_Taskbar.exe, so that you can set the options for viglance prior to hiding the taskbar

Download SH_Taskbar.exe
I have uploaded the file, since i cant find it on web anymore --->
http://www.2shared.com/file/fHSb6LHE/SH_TaskBar.html
Place the SH_Taskbar.exe file into your startup folder, for example, my startup folder would be C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Once you have extracted the file into your startup folder, double click it and your taskbar will dissapear, but your start button and running programs should remain.

That's it! if you have any questions just leave them here or message me. Both these programs are free and barely uses up any memory
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

I hate to be the one, but this doesn't even involve Rainmeter.
It's a neat trick, I'm sure, but you're basically removing a real taskbar to make a background of one.

And there are Start Orbs made from Rainmeter and AutoIt .exe's floating around.
GoTTeM

Post by GoTTeM »

well it was alot helpful to me, i dont like the regular win7 taskbar because i'm limited because my computer doesnt support aero, i'm sure you can hide the taskbar with objectdock and still have the running programs show