It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:45 pm

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by eclectic-tech »

F.Y.I.
A user of one of my weather skins (Win10 Widgets) tried "Disk Cleanup" and reported that it did NOT correct the problem.

I was able to solve it by using CCleaner, but apparently Windows "Disk Cleanup" doesn't correct the current issue.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 8:30 pm you don't have to clean your disk wipe it with a cloth if needed ..

but what you need to do is empty IE ( edge ) temp and cache ... that works ...

Anecdotally, we have had one person who says that didn't work for them. Do be careful though, this is not about Microsoft Edge. That has nothing to do with it. It's only Internet Explorer.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 8:33 pm and every one else says yess it works... :confused: :oops:
Huh. Can you link to a post that says that just clearing the cache in IE did the trick for them?

I'm a bit skeptical, since Disk Cleanup specifically cleans up the IE cache and IE temporary files, and at least two people have said that didn't work.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm i have read a couple of statements that ccleaner worked for them ... in my case to ... :)
Right. So far at least, only CCleaner has worked for everyone, at least I have not seen anyone who ran it and still had the problem... Yet. Goodness knows, "Covid Toe" could crop up any second.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm i have read a couple of statements that ccleaner worked for them ... in my case to ... :)

and your statement of :
Disk Cleanup specifically cleans up the IE cache and IE temporary files

no disk cleanup doesn't clean cache or temps .... ccleaner does ....
I beg to differ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Mind you, the files in the IE cache are Hidden / System files and normally are not displayed, but they are there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 8:47 pm uhm... oke i 4 got... ccleaner is well know tool to do those things to...

let's test if it's the temp / cache on the next one asking... then we will know if it works..
Yes, it would be good to catch one in the wild.

I would have them try Disk Cleanup first, being sure that Internet Temporary Files is checked, since it is easiest, then if that doesn't work, try killing the IE cache and cookies and such from Control Panel, and if that doesn't work, then CCleaner.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:57 pm I would recommend getting and using the free version of CCleaner from https://www.ccleaner.com/. See if that doesn't help.

Another, somewhat less bulky, but far less pretty, alternative is BleachBit from https://www.bleachbit.org/.
I'm getting reports from users on DA that this issue is happening even with a fresh Windows install. :confused: This is really weird...
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that sometime, a few days ago, weather.com had some issue with their site, and whatever error they introduced just does not work and play well with Internet Explorer. Really, what does... Since WebParser relies on the API's for Internet Explorer, whatever was stuck in the cache or cookies that was causing problems just wouldn't go away, since why in the world would you ever bother to empty your IE cache or cookies?

I'm equally suspicious of an IE "cookie" as I am something in the "cache", and that might explain why Disk Cleanup might not work. It does not clean up cookies.

CCleaner at least, and maybe other approaches for cleaning up IE seem to correct the issue.

I hypothesize that this was a one-time event, since after you run CCleaner and correct it, it doesn't just come right back, and at least so far, never comes back again.

Like every site, except for Rainmeter's, there are a ton of advertising inserts in the code for weather.com. The problem could easily have been with one of those, that in theory weather.com has little control over. Hard to say.

Now I never saw the issue, since as I said, I have CCleaner tied to my Recycle Bin, and so run it dozens of times a day. Presumably I got the issue as well when everyone else did, but corrected it before it even had a chance to manifest itself. I was asymptomatic...
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

Hi ALL,

Son-of-a-gun, IT WORKED!!!!

I'm still a little leery about cleanup programs but I downloaded the free version of CCleaner and only let it delete IE files and system temp files. I did not allow it to delete any Edge files. Ran it with no problems and then i loaded the Gadgets weather skin and IT WORKED!!! VERY STRANGE! But why didn't IE's own temp file deletion work. I think jsmorley's guess that there was an issue at weather.com and it screwed up something in IE's API and was reflected in some bad temp file somewhere.

I used to work in software design but WAY before the internet was a thing (I'm aging myself!!!) so a lot of this type of design is only mumbo jumbo to me. But again I appreciate all the work that you guys who design these skins and support them put into it.

In the end its nice to have all my skins matching from the Gadgets suite!!!

THANKS AGAIN,
Gerry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gerryex wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 10:05 pm Hi ALL,

Son-of-a-gun, IT WORKED!!!!

I'm still a little leery about cleanup programs but I downloaded the free version of CCleaner and only let it delete IE files and system temp files. I did not allow it to delete any Edge files. Ran it with no problems and then i loaded the Gadgets weather skin and IT WORKED!!! VERY STRANGE! But why didn't IE's own temp file deletion work. I think jsmorley's guess that there was an issue at weather.com and it screwed up something in IE's API and was reflected in some bad temp file somewhere.

I used to work in software design but WAY before the internet was a thing (I'm aging myself!!!) so a lot of this type of design is only mumbo jumbo to me. But again I appreciate all the work that you guys who design these skins and support them put into it.

In the end its nice to have all my skins matching from the Gadgets suite!!!

THANKS AGAIN,
Gerry
Outstanding...

This internet is not here to stay.