It is currently May 26th, 2020, 10:03 am

⭐ Weather.com

Post your work-in-progress and completed skins to share and discuss.
element

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by element »

nbtc971 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:45 am
everyone's weather widget will be useless.
Not "everyone's", just those who scrape weather pages. Get an API key for a weather site (once) and you'll save yourself this eternal, inane circus: http://www.permetix.com/rainmeter/index.php?page=weather
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nbtc971 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:45 am
Well this sucks. It's not working for me in Dallas, Texas. My guess is they changed something and it hasn't completely propagated and within the next couple of days, everyone's weather widget will be useless.
That is a possibility. If and when it hits me, I can take a look at what is different and hopefully deal with it. Right now, I'm still fine.
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

element wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 3:06 am
Not "everyone's", just those who scrape weather pages. Get an API key for a weather site (once) and you'll save yourself this eternal, inane circus: http://www.permetix.com/rainmeter/index.php?page=weather
I was just about to say that it's not everyone having this problem ... although I didn't yet build my new - and much better - regex yet as I've been busy with other stuff for the past couple of hours. Sorry for not replying to you earlier, when I said they had to "upgrade" perfectly working sites I was referring to the HTML formatting sites (my goto site for this now changed its address and it removes the quotes, hence my erroneous reply earlier regarding this), not weather sites (although, truth be told, there is a stupid run for "novelty" just for the sake of it, and not necessarily because it's better, and nearly all software, sites or products are guilty of this).

Regarding scraping sites, while I partially agree with you that it's chasing your own tail eventually, it's a relatively stable way to get data. I use this in some of my extensions in other apps, I use it here in Rainmeter as well, and it has its value. Sure, it has two drawbacks: once in a while you need to update your scraping method, and when there's a lot of data it's slow. But then, I personally prefer to do this for weather.com for a 2nd reason besides my reluctance to register (or in this case, get an API key) on every freaking site I visit, and this one is much more important: for me, only the weather.com related sites (i.e. weather.com, wunderground, the defunct wxdata) produce accurate weather forecasts. AccuWeather is way off in my case (and they call themselves "accurate", LOL), DarkSky is dying happily in the hands of Apple, and the other two, while probably reasonable (although not tested yet), I doubt they have the resources of weather.com / TWC in order to be able to make similarly accurate predictions on the weather.

That is, of course, just me. Others might very well prefer those alternatives, or it could be that it's weather.com that's the least accurate for them and things like that. Other than that, I fully appreciate your work on WeatherHub, but, well, those sources simply don't suit me. Even on my phone I looked for an app that gets the weather from wunderground, and not accuweather...
AllBlackZebras

Post by AllBlackZebras »

I have had the same issue the past couple days: Weather Meter is blank and says "...Connecting..." at the bottom. Location is rural South Dakota, US. Only my main machine, which runs Windows 7, has this problem. Three Windows 10 PCs still work fine.
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

AllBlackZebras wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 5:14 am
Only my main machine, which runs Windows 7, has this problem. Three Windows 10 PCs still work fine.
Running the same skin(s)? :jawdrop How can this be? Do all your PCs connect through the same host / router / internet provider?
I run Win10 by the way and it "doesn't work" (well, it works, just different data received that breaks the parsing).
AllBlackZebras

Post by AllBlackZebras »

Same skin, same router, same ISP for all of them. To get weather back on my Win7 desktop, I had to switch to a skin with Foreca as the source. It functions properly, but I do miss that Weather Meter.
Last edited by AllBlackZebras on May 23rd, 2020, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

AllBlackZebras wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:21 am
Same skin, same router, same ISP for all of them. To get weather back on my Win7 desktop, I had to switch to a gadget with Foreca as the source. It functions properly, but I do miss that Weather Meter.
I see. That's odd.
pul53dr1v3r

Post by pul53dr1v3r »

Hi guys. The issue started to happen to me from yesterday, with the all JSON Weather.com based skins i had installed, including the morley's. The same was with my Rainformer Weather skin. The only thing that worked was location, everything else was empty whatever i did.
Compared the current JSON code of the site, but seems unchanged.
Also, some users of my suite reported the issue from yesterday.

Finally, after many tries to find out what's the cause of it, i scanned my PC with CCleaner and seems it SOLVED the issue. Now everything is working flawlessly from that very moment.
I also did a Registry scan.

Here are the settings i use in CCleaner:

eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I'm in the "TWC JSON Weather Not Working" camp... hopefully things will eventually get corrected.
But luckily, I have an Yahoo Weather skin that is based on JSMorley's design that works.

yahooCom0.png
It's always good to have options :great:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dvo

Post by dvo »

the fix of pul53dr1v3r works .... :welcome: :D