It is currently May 27th, 2020, 3:12 am

⭐ Weather.com

Post your work-in-progress and completed skins to share and discuss.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by jsmorley »

gerryex wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:12 pm
Hi,

I'm a little hesitant to use CCleaner (or other general cleaners) as I used to use it but one time it really screwed up my system. Some of the posts show CCleaner helped but for some it did not. If more people with this problem say it helps then I'll give it a try.

I now see the "exit" for Rainmeter! And i knew to delete the specific skin folder but I just thought there was a different way to do it.

Thanks,
Gerry
That's up to you of course, but I have not seen anyone yet where running CCleaner didn't resolve the issue for them. I don't think there is a certainty that the IE cache or cookies are the culprit here, there is some anecdotal evidence of that, but not for sure. All I can say with some level of comfort is that SOMETHING that CCleaner is getting rid of is fixing the problem for everyone I have seen so far.

I don't think it wise to insist that anyone install 3rd-party software that I didn't write myself. I don't recommend Hydroxychloroquine, that's for you to decide. I have to say though, that I have not yet seen anything built-in that is a reasonably certain alternative. I sorta assumed Disk Cleanup, which comes with Windows, would likely do the trick, but I have not seen evidence of that yet. Might be worth a try.

Hard for me to know for sure, since I never had the problem. Of course that could easily be because I have CCleaner being used to empty my Recycle Bin with the /AUTO command line switch, so I probably run CCleaner dozens of times a day.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

F.Y.I.
A user of one of my weather skins (Win10 Widgets) tried "Disk Cleanup" and reported that it did NOT correct the problem.

I was able to solve it by using CCleaner, but apparently Windows "Disk Cleanup" doesn't correct the current issue.
dvo

Post by dvo »

you don't have to clean your disk wipe it with a cloth if needed ..

but what you need to do is empty IE ( edge ) temp and cache ... that works ...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:30 pm
you don't have to clean your disk wipe it with a cloth if needed ..

but what you need to do is empty IE ( edge ) temp and cache ... that works ...

Anecdotally, we have had one person who says that didn't work for them. Do be careful though, this is not about Microsoft Edge. That has nothing to do with it. It's only Internet Explorer.
dvo

Post by dvo »

and every one else says yess it works... :confused: :oops:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:33 pm
and every one else says yess it works... :confused: :oops:
Huh. Can you link to a post that says that just clearing the cache in IE did the trick for them?

I'm a bit skeptical, since Disk Cleanup specifically cleans up the IE cache and IE temporary files, and at least two people have said that didn't work.
dvo

Post by dvo »

i have read a couple of statements that ccleaner worked for them ... in my case to ... :)

and your statement of :
Disk Cleanup specifically cleans up the IE cache and IE temporary files

no disk cleanup doesn't clean cache or temps .... ccleaner does ....
Last edited by dvo on May 23rd, 2020, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm
i have read a couple of statements that ccleaner worked for them ... in my case to ... :)
Right. So far at least, only CCleaner has worked for everyone, at least I have not seen anyone who ran it and still had the problem... Yet. Goodness knows, "Covid Toe" could crop up any second.
dvo

Post by dvo »

after that you will have happy feet :P JS :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm

and your statement of :
Disk Cleanup specifically cleans up the IE cache and IE temporary files

no disk cleanup doesn't clean cache or temps .... ccleaner does ....
I beg to differ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Mind you, the files in the IE cache are Hidden / System files and normally are not displayed, but they are there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.