It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:07 am

CPUTemp

Skins that monitor system information
balala
Rainmeter Sage

CPUTemp

Post by balala »

A while ago I bought a new computer. The old one didn't support the measurement of the temperature of CPU, not even with CoreTemp or other such app.
When I've started to work with the new computer, it was obvious that this one can measure the temperature, but I wanted to find a way to measure it without an external app. Finally I figured out how this can be done, even found two different ways. This skin is the result of my "research".
But here I had two problems:
  • The skin will work just on some processors (for sure the Intel's Skylakes are supported, but have no idea which others are).
  • Even on the supported processors, the skin will work just if Rainmeter is run as administrator.
Now a request: if anyone checks this skin, could you please report if it is or isn't working, along with the used processor. Many thanks to all who will report.
If it's working, the skin will indicate, besides the current temperature, the highest temperature, reached so far (since the last refresh). If it's not, an appropriate message will be shown, indicating that the skin isn't working, the measurement of the temperature is not possible, but you could try running Rainmeter as administrator. If that's the situation (Rainmeter runs as administrator), you could try one more thing: open the code of the skin and locate the [MeasureRun] measure. It has two pairs of Parameter and Substitute options, one pair commented out. You can try to comment out the other pair. Just note that the first Parameter option works with the first Substitute and vice-versa: the second Parameter option works with the second Substitute.
Also by default the skin will show the temperatures in Celsius degrees, but you can easily switch to Fahrenheit degrees, or even to Kelvin. This can be done by a click to any of the left or right side temperatures (the current and sometimes the largest temperature shown in the left side or the five temperatures shown on the right side).

The skin doesn't install any plugin or addon.

I'm extremely curious how many of you will find this skin useful, if it's working. Please send feedback.
Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CyberTheWorm

Re: CPUTemp

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Nice idea, not working for mine. Got the error to run as administrator and getting values but the wrong ones. When I refresh I get the error for a second then it displays the temp but will not update.
1.PNG
2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
1690Cat

Post by 1690Cat »

hi balala, mine is identical to cybers by the looks of it,but sorry i do not know
which processor it indicates,hope this helps you..
kevindahl

Post by kevindahl »

pentium.PNG
Pentium-D and my CPU meters went nutz until I removed It?
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Doesn't work for me (older Intel i7) with or without Admin priviledges.

A quick way to tell if your system supports the ACPI Thermal Zone temperature is to open your device manager and look under System (mine doesn't have this, so I stole this image from the internet).
Thermal.png
The problem with using this method is that a lot of systems don't support it and/or do not have the drivers installed to communicate with the BIOS. I am not 100%, but I bet 3rd party programs (like CoreTemp and HWINFO) supply their own drivers that can access the BIOS for the information.

-Brian
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Hi,

Same problem as CyberTheWorm. Works in admin, but it does not give the right values and no update. I have a very old AMD Athlon 64 X2 :D.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Brian wrote:Doesn't work for me (older Intel i7) with or without Admin priviledges.

A quick way to tell if your system supports the ACPI Thermal Zone temperature is to open your device manager and look under System (mine doesn't have this, so I stole this image from the internet).
Thermal.png

The problem with using this method is that a lot of systems don't support it and/or do not have the drivers installed to communicate with the BIOS. I am not 100%, but I bet 3rd party programs (like CoreTemp and HWINFO) supply their own drivers that can access the BIOS for the information.

-Brian
Hi Brian and thanks for all these information and sorry for the late reply.
Yes, probably you're right about the fact that many systems don't support this, however I'm not sure what drivers would be needed. I didn't install any drivers, just installed the Windows 10 and it worked, however I couldn't find yet another computer around me, which would support it, although I check a few of them. My assumption is that the Intel's new Skylake processors are supported (mine is a such one), but have no idea which others would be.
I developed the skin based on the following description: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24004300/batch-file-get-cpu-temperature-in-c-and-set-as-variable
According to this, the method could be checked by running a command prompt as administrator and entering there following command: wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get CurrentTemperature. If it works, a number will be returned, which is equal with the temperature expressed into Kelvin and multiplied with 10 (eg I have right now 3142, which in kelvin would be 3142/10 = 314.2 K, or converted this means 41 Celsius degrees, or 106 Fahrenheit degrees). If the method doesn't work, you'll get an error message. Also an error message you get if the command prompt doesn't run as administrator.
However, thanks for the feedback.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CyberTheWorm wrote:Got the error to run as administrator and getting values but the wrong ones. When I refresh I get the error for a second then it displays the temp but will not update.
1690Cat wrote:hi balala, mine is identical to cybers by the looks of it,but sorry i do not know
which processor it indicates,hope this helps you..
sephirotess wrote:Same problem as CyberTheWorm. Works in admin, but it does not give the right values and no update. I have a very old AMD Athlon 64 X2 :D.
Thanks to all of you, for your feedback.
This is weird! All of you are getting 30 Celsius / 85 Fahrenheit degrees, all the time? If it doesn't update (or the value doesn't change), probably the the processor isn't supported or is supported partially (if can be said this), I think.
Please try what I've described above, in my last previous reply and let me know what you get.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

kevindahl wrote:pentium.PNG Pentium-D and my CPU meters went nutz until I removed It?
It seems your processor isn't supported at all.
1690Cat

Post by 1690Cat »

had to run with admin and not working with Parameter and Substitute options changed.sorry...