It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:31 pm

SunMoon

Weather skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

SunMoon

Post by balala »

This skin shows the Sunrise/Sunset, respectively the Moonrise / Moonset for current day. Important is that these information aren't downloaded from internet (as many skins does), they are calculated offline by two lua scripts, based on geographical coordinates and date. These scripts are not mine, I've downloaded them, many thanks to the developers.
The skin also shows the current icon of the Sun and Moon (How is visible the Sun over the horizont and the aproximative phase of the Moon).
When you install the skin, first a Settings tool is loaded. Using it you can set your location (important, without this step, the skin won't work!). The simplest way to do this is to click to the Detect button (it appears just when your IP address is determined and shown). With this button, the skin will (try to) detect your country, city and the geographical coordinates (the latitude and the longitude) and if succeed, shows them. Then you can click the OK to save them and switch to the main skin, which will show the moments of Sun/Moon rise/set.
If your IP address isn't detected, the Detect button won't appear. In such cases you can enter manually the coordinates, using the InputText plugin. If you do so, the skin will try to detect the country and the city, based on the entered geographical coordinates. If it fails, or the names are not accurate enough, you can also add/modify them manually.
The skin writes each day, the day length into the DayLength.inc file (into the @Resources folder). Through the year, you can follow how this length changes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: SunMoon

Post by eclectic-tech »

Works great! Detected my location close enough that time is not an issue (40 miles away, due to my rural location). :rosegift:

One suggestion: I would lie to see a version I can scale.

I do not resize Rainmeter skins to the same Win 10 DPI scale on my plasma monitor (my default DPI setting is 150%) because I want to see the appearance of the skins as originally written. On higher resolution monitors, the skins are usually too small to recognize characters; adding scaling allows end user to adjust the size to fit their set up.

Enough 'whinning' from me... :D

Great find on those scripts! :thumbup:
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

It's interesting, I should try it. Thank you very much for sharing :great:.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:Works great! Detected my location close enough that time is not an issue (40 miles away, due to my rural location). :rosegift:
The location is detected based on your IP address. How close to the reality is this depends I think on many things.
eclectic-tech wrote:One suggestion: I would lie to see a version I can scale.

I do not resize Rainmeter skins to the same Win 10 DPI scale on my plasma monitor (my default DPI setting is 150%) because I want to see the appearance of the skins as originally written. On higher resolution monitors, the skins are usually too small to recognize characters; adding scaling allows end user to adjust the size to fit their set up.
At least with some limits, it's not impossible at all. Ok, I'll create a same working bigger skin and will come back with it.
eclectic-tech wrote:Great find on those scripts! :thumbup:
For sure. I searched them long time, until finally I found them.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sephirotess wrote:It's interesting, I should try it. Thank you very much for sharing :great:.
My pleasure. Try it and let me know how is it working.
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Hi,

Good detection of the Country. I change the city, because the skin has chosen an other, but not very far. The values ​​of sunrise and sunset are the same values ​​indicated by my skin Weather (weather.com), so, it's good! Great job :thumbup:.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sephirotess wrote:Hi,

Good detection of the Country. I change the city, because the skin has chosen an other, but not very far. The values ​​of sunrise and sunset are the same values ​​indicated by my skin Weather (weather.com), so, it's good! Great job :thumbup:.
Thanks. As I could see so far, at least in my case, the skin calculates pretty good the moment of Sunrise / Sunset / Moonrise / Moonset.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:One suggestion: I would lie to see a version I can scale.
Here is one, with two different sizes. The default size is the same as the previous one, but when you're hovering your mouse over the skin a small menu will appear in its right side. You can use it to open the Settings tool (removed its button from the main surface of the skin), to scale the skin (with the right arrow) or to close it.
I also partially rewrote the Settings tool. Now it has an option to can set the desired time format (12 or 24 hours). The smaller size don't look good with the 12 hours format, because there are no enough spaces between the shown times.
Please let me know what you think about this newer version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by balala on January 1st, 2017, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Double-size looks good, and the additional setting.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, hopefully other will appreciate it as much as I do.

Thanks Again! :rosegift:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do this, hopefully other will appreciate it as much as I do.
I'm glad if you appreciate my work. Obviously I'm glad when anybody does, but even more when a such experimented user like you does.