It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:35 am

ModernGadgets 1.8.2

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
raiguard

ModernGadgets 1.8.2

Post by raiguard »

NOTICE: ModernGadgets is no longer maintained. I recommend using SilverAzide's gadgets instead.
ModernGadgets is a set of sleek, minimalist, information-dense gadgets that are designed to fit right into your modern desktop. It is the result of my tinkering with Rainmeter for the last three years, and is heavily based on SilverAzide's Gadget Replicas. The overarching goal of this suite is ease-of-use. Thus, everything has been made as simple and streamlined as possible.

ModernGadgets requires HWiNFO, a free system monitoring utility, for full functionality. Alternatively, some information in CPU Meter may be retrieved through the CoreTemp or SpeedFan applications.

Want even more gadgets? Check out the Gadgets Additions suite!

REQUIRES RAINMETER 4.5 OR NEWER
REQUIRES .NET FRAMEWORK 4.5 OR NEWER
REQUIRES WINDOWS 7 SP1 OR NEWER

Download latest version (v1.8.2)
Older versions

ModernGadgets on GitHub

Installation and Setup:
Download the skin suite's .rmskin file and open it. Follow the standard Rainmeter skin installation process. If it is your first time using ModernGadgets, it is recommended to load the current layout in order to be presented with a Welcome skin, which will contain many useful links.

Please keep in mind that for many features, you need to install and configure HWiNFO. Click here to view the HWiNFO setup tutorial (also available as a link from the welcome screen).

Credits:
Designed and programmed by raiguard.
Inspired by SilverAzide's "Gadgets for Rainmeter" suite.

"IBM Plex Sans" font from Google Fonts, under the Apache 2.0 License.
"Font Awesome" icons from FortAwesome, under the Font Awesome Free license.
Other icons sourced from icons8.com
Weather icons by Erik Flowers: https://erikflowers.github.io/weather-icons/
Weather information is powered by The Weather Channel: https://weather.com/

Special Thanks:
SilverAzide - Original Gadgets suite, ActiveNet plugin, NetMonitor utility, fixed precision format script
stangowner - HWiNFO Plugin, HWiNFO Shared Memory Viewer

Gadget Features:
Audio Meter
- Volume and sound device controls
- NowPlaying media controls (supports both local and web media players)
- Adjustable visualizer
- Able to be scaled to any size

Battery Meter
- Displays current battery charge status and metrics
- Plays a warning sound when your battery gets critically low (configurable)

Calendar
- ModernGadgets-styled implementation of LuaCalendar
- Displays current month and day
- Past or future months can be navigated through
- Supports iCal event files

Chronometer
- Displays current date and time
- Shows system uptime and logon time
- Supports up to two alarms
- Displays a custom event countdown
- Includes stopwatch and timer applets

CPU Meter
- Per-thread CPU usage, per-core CPU temperature** and voltage*
- Supports up to 64 CPU threads
- Shows CPU name, RAM and Page File information
- Shows CPU clock speed, CPU fan speed**
- Shows top process by CPU usage
- Thermal throttling detection and alarm*
- Line graph displays CPU temperature**, per-thread CPU usage, RAM usage, and Page file usage
- Optional average CPU usage graph display
- Opens task manager on double-click

Disks Meter
- Supports all disk drive slots (A-Z)
- Automatically adjusts when disks are connected/disconnected
- Displays disk name, read/write time usage, current read/write rates, and storage information for each disk
- Line graph displays read/write rates and read/write time usage for each disk
- Clicking a disk name will open File Explorer on the selected disk
- Includes eject buttons for ejecting removable disks***

GPU Meter*
- GPU name, general usage, and temperature
- Fan speed information for up to three fans
- VRAM usage and memory clock speed
- Memory controller usage
- Video clock speed
- Core Voltage
- Line graph displays general GPU usage, VRAM usage, fan speed, and memory controller usage
- Includes four GPU meters to monitor up to 4 discrete GPUs for multi-GPU setups

Network Meter
- Local and global IP addresses
- View your location based on your IP address
- Shows Network Ping to a specified URL
- Displays Current upload/download rates in both bits/sec and bytes/sec
- Displays Session and total data uploaded/downloaded
- Displays peak network traffic speed
- Line graph shows current upload/download rates
- Shows link to speedtest.net for testing your network speed
- Includes alternate “pro” mode with more accurate tracking (requires installation of third-party software)

Process Meter
- Displays ten processes, ordered by either CPU usage or GPU usage
- Displays process RAM/VRAM usage
- Allows process filtering, defaulting to all system-related processes
- Shows average CPU/GPU usage in the gadget header*
- Line graph shows average CPU/GPU usage*

Weather Meter
- Displays current weather for the selected location
- Displays sun/moon data, such as rise/set times, current lunar phase, and a sky dial

* Requires HWiNFO
** Requires CoreTemp, SpeedFan, or HWiNFO
*** Requires administrator privileges

Changelog:

Code: Select all

v1.8.2 - 2022-4-7
  Fixed:
    - [GPU Meter] NVIDIA was not being auto-detected in all cases (#273)
    - [Weather Meter] Updated Weather.com API key (#274)

v1.8.1 - 2021-9-25
  Bugfixes:
    - Fixed several broken readouts in GPU Meter

v1.8.0 - 2021-9-23
  Features:
    - Updated to HWiNFO 7.0
      - The settings format has changed, so all users will need to reconfigure their HWiNFO IDs
  Changes:
    - Sidebars have been removed
      - Use a standalone tool, such as MaxMax, to prevent your gadgets from being covered
      - This was done due to the presence of many unfixable issues with the sidebar implementation
    - Updated to ActiveNet 3.0
  Bugfixes:
    - Fixed an error related to audio meter mouse regions (#229)
    - Fixed an error with a missing image when Disks Meter had more than ten disks (#244)
    - Fixed that GPU Meter variants 2 and 3 would use the settings for variant 1 (#246)
    - Fixed that the GPU Meter VRAM labels would bounce between compact and regular fonts in some cases (#245)
    - Fixed that Weather Meter would be cut off on the bottom when the scale was not 1.0 (#238)
    - Fixed the CPU clock speed displaying as zero when first enabled (#233)
    - Fixed the sky dial sun/moon visibility behavior
View Full Changelog
Last edited by raiguard on May 26th, 2022, 3:20 am, edited 67 times in total.
raiguard

Re: ModernGadgets 1.0.0-rc.2 - Testers needed!

Post by raiguard »

Release Candidate 2 has been released. Changes include fixing a mistake in the readme's changelog, as well as a brand-new update checker that is much more reliable and flexible! Also, this is the first widespread test of the update checker, so hopefully it goes well!

Grab it from the link above.
raiguard

Re: ModernGadgets 1.0.0-rc.3 - Feedback is appreciated!

Post by raiguard »

I had to package yet another release candidate, because the HWiNFO plugin updated and it broke CPU and GPU Meter's HWiNFO detection! It was a small change, but it's fixed now. If nobody reports any bugs for a few days, I will consider it ready to be officially released.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello,

Here is some minor feedback for you. On the Setup skin, for some reason the first time it loaded, when I clicked the switches for CPU, Network, and GPU meters, the switches didn't "switch" (though they did work). When I clicked the Disk Meter (last), all the switches set themselves to the proper position. Also, the version showed "#mgVersion#" initially, but it works after reloading. Now I can't reproduce these issues after the first run, perhaps some variables don't have default values? In case it matters, I didn't load the skins immediately using the installer (i.e., I cleared the "load skins" checkbox), I loaded the setup skin by itself first.

I accidentally double-clicked (maybe triple) the "check for updates" button and crashed Rainmeter. Not sure how that is possible, but I suspect WebParser.

Trivial item: I see this in the debug log: "ModernGadgets\Setup\Setup.ini: !Log: Invalid type"

Also, on the HWiNFO config skin, my GPU doesn't have a fan, the GPU fan controller is on the motherboard apparently (laptop). As a result, I get 0 rpm in the GPU Meter.

Anyway, :thumbup: on the ModernGadgets! I like the way the HWiNFO setup skin shows good/bad values.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Thanks for all your feedback!
SilverAzide wrote:The switches didn't "switch" (though they did work).
This is a known issue. In order to detect whether or not the gadgets are loaded, I have to use webparser to read the Rainmeter.ini file. Unfortunately this takes a few seconds. I am working on a fix, but it'll be relatively ugly.
SilverAzide wrote:Also, the version showed "#mgVersion#" initially.
This happens because the setup skin is what creates the external settings files for ModernGadgets, so when it first loads, the variables don't exist yet. Once the files are created it works fine. I alrrady have a fix implemented for the next release candidate.
SilverAzide wrote:In case it matters, I didn't load the skins immediately using the installer (i.e., I cleared the "load skins" checkbox), I loaded the setup skin by itself first.
Keeping the checkbox checked will only load the setup skin, not all the gadgets. I configure it to do that when I package it. So this is fine.
SilverAzide wrote:I accidentally double-clicked (maybe triple) the "check for updates" button and crashed Rainmeter. Not sure how that is possible, but I suspect WebParser.
Wow, that is a real issue that I never noticed. Thanks for catching that! I'll look into it.
SilverAzide wrote:Trivial item: I see this in the debug log: "ModernGadgets\Setup\Setup.ini: !Log: Invalid type"
That is a mistake in the settings management script. Already fixed.
SilverAzide wrote:Also, on the HWiNFO config skin, my GPU doesn't have a fan, the GPU fan controller is on the motherboard apparently (laptop). As a result, I get 0 rpm in the GPU Meter.
I'll have to add a usecase for that. In the meantime, I'm sure you know how to set it manually.
SilverAzide wrote:Anyway, :thumbup: on the ModernGadgets! I like the way the HWiNFO setup skin shows good/bad values.
Thanks for the kind word! Is there anything you would recommend I change/improve on? Several people complained that illustro Gadgets was a nightmare to configure, so I want to be sure I get it right this time.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

SilverAzide wrote:I accidentally double-clicked (maybe triple) the "check for updates" button and crashed Rainmeter. Not sure how that is possible, but I suspect WebParser.
I am unable to reproduce this issue. Did you run into this issue before or after you refreshed the skin to make #mgVersion# go away?

Also, if you are able to reproduce it again, could you attach a copy of the Rainmeter log? Just want to be sure it's not the settings management script (that script has been the source of almost every problem I've had when developing this suite).
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

SilverAzide wrote:Also, on the HWiNFO config skin, my GPU doesn't have a fan, the GPU fan controller is on the motherboard apparently (laptop). As a result, I get 0 rpm in the GPU Meter.
Just need some clearing up: Did you mean that there is no sensor at all, or that there is one but it's on the motherboard?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

iamanai wrote:I am unable to reproduce this issue. Did you run into this issue before or after you refreshed the skin to make #mgVersion# go away?
I don't recall, I think it was before. I suspect the problem is something to do with WebParser, and not something you can fix directly. I get crashes all the time with WebParser. I have often have two of my Weather Meter skins running, and when Rainmeter launches, both skins attempt to call weather.com nearly simultaneously. Sometimes -- not always -- RM will crash, and the dump will indicate the faulting DLL is WebParser. If I only have one Weather skin loaded, RM never crashes on startup.

Where I'm going with all this is that perhaps I clicked on your gadget in such a way as to cause two calls to your site to do the version check. Perhaps WebParser (or something it calls) isn't thread-safe. Just a thought....
Last edited by SilverAzide on November 24th, 2016, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

iamanai wrote:Just need some clearing up: Did you mean that there is no sensor at all, or that there is one but it's on the motherboard?
Yes, I meant there is one, but it is on the motherboard. I've got a couple of Dell laptops and an HP, and all seem to be like this.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

SilverAzide wrote:Where I'm going with all this is that perhaps I clicked on your gadget in such a way as to cause two calls to your site to do the version check. Perhaps WebParser (or something it calls) isn't thread-safe. Just a thought....
WebParser is most definitely the problem then. I cannot figure out how you would have managed to get it to do two calls at once, because that should be impossible. I can't reproduce it no matter how hard I try. Hopefully not many people will have this issue.
SilverAzide wrote:Yes, I meant there is one, but it is on the motherboard. I've got a couple of Dell laptops and an HP, and all seem to be like this.
I updated the HWiNFO config tool with a place to enter this ID. You will also need to go into the GPU Meter settings skin and toggle it to read from the alternate value. It'll be in the next (and hopefully final) release candidate.

EDIT: Just packaged and released the new version.