It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:39 am

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 2.1.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello! Glad you found the Gadgets useful!

For the digital clock, I've gotten several requests for this and I am planning on adding it. I was never a fan of the addgadgets.com clock, but a lot of folks really liked it so I will be seeing about putting one together in a future release.

For the scaling, you are right about the look on my face... separate X and Y scaling? This will cause the skins to become distorted or stretched.... is that what you are wanting? If so, I hope you won't mind, but I'm gonna come right out and say that's just not gonna happen. But the good news is that the TransformationMatrix line in all the skin files is exactly the same (or should be unless I screwed up), so with any future update you could do a single global search-and-replace across all the files and it should work.
Milamber33

Post by Milamber33 »

You're right about the TransformationMatrix line being the same, but unfortunately there's lots of other places where the #Scale# value is used, every single mouse click region for starters. So a global find and replace is only the beginning of the job. I wish it were that easy. :)

You're also right about it distorting the skins, but with small differences between the X and Y scale values, this isn't all that noticeable. To give you a better understanding of why I wanted it, my situation is that I've created a sidebar area on one of my monitors, not unlike the Windows Vista sidebar, so all the skins I put there are still visible even when I have a maximised window on that monitor. Unfortunately, not all of the skins that I want to use will fit vertically in that sidebar at 100% scaling. So I need to scale some of them down a bit (I'm using 0.85 as my scale value), but then the widths don't match and it looks ugly. But if I remove X scaling, then the widths all stay consistent, and the skins don't look all that distorted. Some of the skins handle it better than others, I don't scale down All CPU Meter at all, for instance, but Drives Meter and Network Meter take it quite well IMO.

If you still don't want to do it, I understand, but if you just don't want to do the work but wouldn't mind if the feature was there, I'm willing to put the time and effort in to code the feature myself. I spent a while yesterday working out the code for my own little digital clock, just to see if I could do it, and I've already been through all the skins finding everything related to scaling in order to get my hack working once, I'm not afraid to do it again. :p
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

OK, I see what you are looking for... I guess it will take more than a single pass at replacing, I forgot about those mouse regions. I'll consider your request, since it would be a huge pain to have to re-edit all those files repeatedly. If I do it, you'll at least need to edit a "ScaleX" or "ScaleY" variable manually since it won't be in the Settings skins.

But really, this sounds like you have the perfect excuse to go get one of those sweet 4K monitors so you can stack up a whole bunch of skins along that sidebar edge... ;-)
Milamber33

Post by Milamber33 »

SilverAzide wrote:But really, this sounds like you have the perfect excuse to go get one of those sweet 4K monitors so you can stack up a whole bunch of skins along that sidebar edge... ;-)
Yes it does, though it would probably be 3 of them :p

Unfortunately, I'm broke, and new monitors are after at least $3,000 of my wishlist right now. So that will have to wait a while. :-(

Anyway, thank you for considering it, and again, I'm happy to help out coding the changes if you like. :)
Milamber33

Post by Milamber33 »

I've been playing a bit more, and I think I've come up with a more elegant solution to the problem. It even involves less code changes, at least for All CPU Meter.

Rather than making the X and Y values scale individually, make everything positioned and sized based on the #BGWidth# parameter. That way, changing this value will automatically make all the meters rearrange and resize themselves to suit. And if I want to change the height but not the width, all I have to do is scale it down, then increase the Width value to compensate. No distortions.

Really it's just either left align, right align, or center everything, and make the width of the bars (#BGWidth# - somefixedvalue). Again, I'm happy to help with code changes. :)
Last edited by Milamber33 on November 6th, 2015, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

Again, excellent work and many thanks for bringing the AddGadget gadgets to Rainmeter. Now if only someone would do the same to the Weather Center gadget! But I digress...

Minor nitpick that you may be already aware of, but the CPU clock speeds shown in the CPU graph are not accurate for overclocked CPU's. My Core i5-2500K is overclocked to about 4.2GHz, yet the CPU graph always maxes out at 3.3GHz. HWinfo shows the correct clock speed. I've tried both versions of the CPU graph (HWinfo and without) and both give the same results.

If there's anything I can do to assist in testing a fix, please let me know.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello! Make sure you are using Gadgets 2.1.0. The "All CPU Meter (for HWiNFO)" skin will display the clock speed from HWiNFO by default. You can edit the skin file to adjust this behavior (in your case, you want the default setting):

Code: Select all

; clock speed
;   0 = use RainMeter (speed will be constant, reflecting base CPU clock)
;   1 = use HWiNFO    (speed will fluctuate with CPUs that support dynamic frequency scaling and
;                      overclocking; speed shown will be the maximum of all physical cores)
UseHWiNFOClockSpeed=1
Last edited by SilverAzide on November 8th, 2015, 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Milamber33 wrote:I've been playing a bit more, and I think I've come up with a more elegant solution to the problem. It even involves less code changes, at least for All CPU Meter.

Rather than making the X and Y values scale individually, make everything positioned and sized based on the #BGWidth# parameter. That way, changing this value will automatically make all the meters rearrange and resize themselves to suit. And if I want to change the height but not the width, all I have to do is scale it down, then increase the Width value to compensate. No distortions.

Really it's just either left align, right align, or center everything, and make the width of the bars (#BGWidth# - somefixedvalue). Again, I'm happy to help with code changes. :)
Yes, that's a cleaner approach. A lot of the code in the skins are based off the original author's code, and there was a lot of hard-wired spacing involved instead of relative positioning. I've tried to use more relative positioning in the newer skins.

If you want to edit the skins to use more relative positioning and be width-sensitive, that would be useful and could clean up the code. You can send me your code and I'll look at merging your changes into the current development branch of the code base. If you make the changes too radical, the merge conflicts are going to be too much hassle for me to deal width, so try to keep it as clean as possible. And just so you are sure to know what you are getting into, I'll ask that you make the changes to every skin, not just the ones you are using.
Milamber33

Post by Milamber33 »

Sure! It will probably take me a few days, I'm a bit busy right now, but when I'm done I'll let you know.
Milamber33

Post by Milamber33 »

Okay, initial edits done. SilverAzide, I've sent you a download link via PM. It's mostly just bare minimum edits, I think ultimately the gadgets could be improved by additional formatting modifications to make the different elements spread themselves out more evenly when the width is increased, but for relatively small width increases it's good for now. Let me know what you think. :thumbup: