It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:43 pm

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
raiguard

Re: Gadgets 2.2.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by raiguard »

SilverAzide wrote:It almost sounds like the HWiNFO plugin isn't supplying the values until it gets reinitialized.
This is correct. stangowner is aware of it and he has a fix ready for the next update.
Area51

Post by Area51 »

It's not HWinfo that gets reinitialized. HWinfo comes up after Rainmeter and the skins, but the rest of the values in the skins come up and immediately have the correct values after HWinfo comes up. And, the shared memory tool in HWinfo shows the correct values for the GPU card ID. GPU Meter just never refreshes that GPU value value until I do a skin refresh.

We have been trying to get GPU Meter to refresh this later, the way the rest of the values refresh, but no luck so far.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Area51 wrote:It's not HWinfo that gets reinitialized. HWinfo comes up after Rainmeter and the skins, but the rest of the values in the skins come up and immediately have the correct values after HWinfo comes up. And, the shared memory tool in HWinfo shows the correct values for the GPU card ID. GPU Meter just never refreshes that GPU value value until I do a skin refresh.

We have been trying to get GPU Meter to refresh this later, the way the rest of the values refresh, but no luck so far.
Haven't been following this closely, but if you want to delay the measure reading the values for 30 seconds, you might try this:

Code: Select all

[MeasureDelayedRefresh]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Counter
IfCondition=MeasureDelayedRefresh = 30
IfTrueAction=[!Refresh #CURRENTCONFIG#]
That will refresh the skin 30 seconds after it has first been loaded. The built-in Counter variable is not reset on a refresh, so it will only take the action when Rainmeter is first started or the skin is actually unloaded and loaded.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Area51 wrote:*excerpt*
I know. That was what I was talking about. If HWiNFO starts after a skin is loaded, string values will not get updated from their error codes until you refresh the skin. stangowner has a fix for this in the next version.
Area51

Post by Area51 »

I did see a Beta update of HWinfo and installed that, but that version still has the same behavior that the previous version did. If the skin is already launched, and then HWinfo starts, the values all refresh except for the GPU card icon and card name. That won't correctly display until I refresh the skin.

I don't know if that was the expected version with the fix or not.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Area51 wrote:I did see a Beta update of HWinfo and installed that, but that version still has the same behavior that the previous version did. If the skin is already launched, and then HWinfo starts, the values all refresh except for the GPU card icon and card name. That won't correctly display until I refresh the skin.

I don't know if that was the expected version with the fix or not.
Oh sorry, I was talking about the HWiNFO Rainmeter plugin. HWiNFO itself works fine.
Area51

Post by Area51 »

Ah OK. Understand.

Yeah, it's the GPU skin that never reads the value after the first time it starts up. If it doesn't get the GPU ID then, you have to refresh the GPU skin and it'll read it fine.
BorisH

Post by BorisH »

You Sir, are a genius!

I've been using the Gadget apps for years! After a new computer and general software update, I stimbled upon Rainmeter which sounds like a more modern version of what I want (with many other apps that I will be using). Then I came acrossyour packages and installed them immediately. Great work, Thanks, will probably ditch the gadgets now.

I have, however, two problems.
I think I have managed to configure the network meter according to your instructions, so pnly pick up the WiFi now, which is what I want.
However, the original gadget has a feature that allows you to monitor your usage from internet bill to internet bill. I do not need this automatically, but how in your Rainmeter apps do I set back the total usage (e.g. on the day my internet usage starts counting, so I always know how much I have left)?

Also, the GPU meter does not detect my GPU activity and temoerature (the original gadget does not either!), where last week, this worked.
Do I need an additional app for these to be read out? YOu mention HWiNFO, but it worked until last week without that. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what I uninstalled or disabled for this not to work any longer (I kicked out a few things from autostart).
I have a brandnew EVGA 1080 graphics card, so somewhere, things should be read out.

Thanks,
Boris
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Glad you like the Gadgets!

For the Network Meter, to reset the usage you can just click on the little "refresh" icon next to the "Total" display. Another way is to go to the Rainmeter Manage screen, and on the Settings tab click the "Reset statistics" button. (Both options do the same thing.)

BTW, just as a general warning, the feature of using the Gadget to monitor usage isn't very accurate (didn't work any better with the addgadgets.com gadget either). Assuming you have a LAN, the problem is that the network traffic your PC sees and the traffic your router sees might be completely different, especially if you have other devices in your house using your network (PCs, DVRs, thermostats, TVs, etc.). Also, the gadgets only monitor network use when Rainmeter (or the Windows Sidebar app in the old days) is running; so if your PC is on but you are not logged in, background processes (like Windows Update, AV updates, etc.) could be running and using bandwidth that won't be monitored. Your true network usage needs to be monitored at your router for best results, and even that can be iffy depending on your ISP. As a final bit of info, Rainmeter's method tracking of total network usage is broken and/or unreliable (depending on your viewpoint) and even the latest beta has not corrected this; I don't expect this to change, unfortunately.

For the GPU meter, you do need to have HWiNFO running in the background with the sensors active. You will need to download the app from here and configure it. You will also need to configure the GPU Meter gadget by following the instructions in the configuration file (open the GPU Meter Settings skin and click the Notepad icon).
BorisH

Post by BorisH »

Oops!
I looked everywhere, but I did miss those little arrows for the reset. That's perfect, Thanks.

I was aware that the values measures are rough values, but I think they serve the purpose. I have checked that the numbers roughly make sense (downloading large updates at the moment) and all I want is to keep an eye on the usage as we only get to download 30GB/month. A rough number is fine. As I only use one WiFi connection (no network cable plugged in), this should also be ok. It doesn't measure the output to the external hard drives any more.

I also managed to set up GPUmeter now (after some fight with displaying te correct GPU fan speed).
Thanks for you help! Great stuff!