It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:21 pm

EarthquakeMap 2.1

RSS, ATOM and other feeds, GMail, Stocks, any information retrieved from the internet
Mordasius

Re: EarthquakeMap 1.2

Post by Mordasius »

Brian wrote:... Now the most recent earthquake is drawn last. I also made each icon draw in proportion to the magnitude.
Nice work. I think the different sized icons look better than being tinted according to magnitude. I look forward to the next release. :)

Edit: Just noticed you've already posted v1.2 tnx.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Just so that you can better appreciate who is likely to be being affected by natural calamities, I've made a little Storm Addon that displays earthquakes and tropical storms/hurricanes on the same map. It just needs an include line in whatever Earthquake 1.2 skin you are using

Code: Select all

@include5=StormAddon.inc
With Storm Addon.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Cool, nice addon. I have some questions though.

Since there are no active storms, I can't really test it.

1. Your addon would only display one storm, what if there were 2 or 3? I know that seems unlikely most of the year, but in the peak of storm season, sometimes there are more than 1.

2. How does wunderground.com/tropical display the Latitude and Longitude? (Again, I can't test it since there are no storms.)

For instance sometimes it can be displayed like this:
HMS: W 77° 2' 10.0781" or
DM: W 77° 2.167969' or
Decimal: -77.0361328125°

All are correct methods to display Longitude, but not easily translatable to (x,y) coordinates because of the +/- thing. With "Decimal" being the easiest(obviously).

Judging from your code:

Code: Select all

[mStormLatitude-1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[mGetActiveStorms]
StringIndex=5
Substitute="N":"","S":"","E":"","W":""
Group=HaveStorm
Disabled=1
It looks as if the coordinates are being displayed in either HMS or DM. Again, since there are no active storms, I can't test it.

3. If the Latitude and Longitude are correct, then your icon being displayed still isn't center over the "point" where the storm is at. You would need to modify the position slightly.
X=((((([mStormLongtitude-1]+390)%360)/360)*#image.Width#)+5-11)
Y=((((([mStormLatitude-1]+390)%360)/360)*#image.Width#)+5-11)
The +5-11 because the map is displayed 5 pixels from the border and the 11 is half of your storm icon. The reason I didn't have that extra part of the formula in the first version was because my icon was 10x10, so I didn't need it.

Anyway, I am impressed with this addon, and when I can test it, I will incorporate it with EarthquakeMap - assuming you don't mind. :D

-Brian
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Tropical storms are just like bottle openers - never around when you need them. Tropical Cyclone Chanda obviously blew its self out sometime between me posting and you testing it. Anyway, to answer your questions:
Brian wrote:1. Your addon would only display one storm, what if there were 2 or 3?
I was intending to address that today by generating a fake web page and using a LUA script to read 1 to NumOfStorms descriptors and SetOptions on the Image Meters. Of course I hadn't saved a copy of the Page Source with an active storm so I'll have to try and remember how the data are presented.
Brian wrote:2. How does wunderground.com/tropical display the Latitude and Longitude?
Something like -29.23S 47.45E. The Addon puts the TS icon in the right part of the map, or at least will do when I add the +5-11 correction you mentioned in your third comment.

I'll add the code to accomodate additional storms when I get back and post it later. You are very welcome to use any bits you find useful.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

You totally inspired me. I found a cool feed to display lots of different types of disasters. I'm working out the bugs right now....so stay tuned. :D

Just might have to change the skin to "DisastersMap" :)

-Brian
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Brian wrote:Just might have to change the skin to "DisastersMap"
I was thinking along those lines when I added the Storms to your Earthquakes. The most comprehensive coverage of disasters I've found is the RSOE EDIS site
Brian
Developer

Re: EarthquakeMap 2.0

Post by Brian »

Wish I would have seen your post before I started! That website is filled with cool information. I may have to use that website in the future.

For now, I used a feed from pdc.org. They have a pretty good list of current natural disasters.

I made some changes to reduce redundant code. I also added 10 more quakes for a total of 20 quakes being displayed......as well as 20 disasters. :D

So here is version 2.0. Enjoy! :D

Note: Since not all types of disasters are happening, I can't test all of them. (ie. Cyclone, High Surf, Tsunami etc.) So, I will update when possible.

-Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Brian wrote:So here is version 2.0. Enjoy! :D
Looking good and not too crowded with all your latest additions. :thumbup: Comments would be that:

1) I don't think you need Latitude and Longitude to show on the tooltips. The position on the map is enough to indicate the location.

2) It may be time to think about a Border.png file updated every 24 hours along with UpdateDividers on some of the other Image Meters. Updating the graphics every second isn't necessary and may be a little CPU intensive although it is still miles away from anything you'd notice on any machine upgraded over the past five years or so.

3) I think the [Title] meter saying stuff like "Earthquakes in the Last 7 Days with Magnitude 2.5 or greater" has become superfluous and could be put on the tooltip for the earthquake icon.

4) I don't think you need 'Drought' on a map like this as drought is something that builds up over a period of time rather than being a recent, largely unexpected, event like the others. Also what is a 'Marine' event and is there a need to differentiate between Storms and High Wind events?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Brian wrote:Just might have to change the skin to "DisastersMap" :) -Brian
It would be cool, though didn't they have one in Thunderbirds?
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt