It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:21 pm

EarthquakeMap 2.1

RSS, ATOM and other feeds, GMail, Stocks, any information retrieved from the internet
Brian
Developer

EarthquakeMap 2.1

Post by Brian »

:D Click Here for latest version :D

EarthquakeMap plots the most recent earthquakes on a map of the earth.

Features include:

1. Display up to 10 of the most recent earthquakes. 20 earthquakes are now displayed as well as up to 20 disasters.
2. Displays earthquake details such as: Date, Region, Magnitude, Latitude, Longitude and Depth. Information on disasters is now displayed
3. Different configurations such as: Earthquakes in the past hour, past day or past 7 days.
4. Double click anywhere on the map to open up the usgs.gov website.

Limitations and Bugs:

1. Some earthquakes happen in the same spot as a previous earthquake, therefore it will "appear" to not show up, when it reality, it is just located beneath the topmost "point".
2. The Rainmeter errorlog will show some errors in the calc functions for one cycle because the webparser.dll didn't finish updating before each meter was displayed. I wasn't sure how to get around that error.
3. If less than 10 earthquakes are in the feed, the same calc errors are thrown as described above because Rainmeter still reads the meters even though they are hidden. - Fixed in version 1.1

All earthquake feeds come the usgs.gov website. Version 2.0 features a disaster feed from pdc.org

Would greatly appreciate any feedback! :)

-Brian

:D Click Here for latest version :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brian on January 13th, 2012, 6:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Brian
Developer

Re: EarthquakeMap 1.1

Post by Brian »

EarthquakeMap 1.1 - UpdateRate is now 5 minutes, instead of 15 minutes(hope that doesnt flood their server). Fixed an issue where a "point" would be displayed when the feed was refreshed and the earthquake was no longer on the feed. Also fixed the Calc errors, but not the syntax errors when refreshed.

Any feedback is appreciated! :D

-Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

This is neat little skin as it is but I think a couple of changes could make it even better:

1) How about making the Pacific the center of the map? Many more earthquakes occur around the Pacific Rim than the Atlantic so splitting the map down the middle of the Atlantic (say 30°W) would reduce the occasions (like over the past 7 days) when there are clusters of markers towards the edges of the map and not much in the middle.

2) How about applying an ImageTint to the markers to indicate the magnitude of the earthquake?

But even without these changes I'll be modding a pop-up version to have on my desk top. :thumbup:
Last edited by Mordasius on January 8th, 2012, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Mordasius wrote:1) How about making the Pacific the center of the map?
That won't happen while we use Equirectangular projection..."because of the particularly simple relationship between the position of an image pixel on the map and its corresponding geographic location on Earth."
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Seahorse wrote:That won't happen while we use Equirectangular projection...
Well someone like Marinos of Tyre doing his mathematical geography in Greece in 100 A.D would be expected to put Europe at the center of the map wouldn't he. From the map of earthquakes over the past 8-30 days (below) you can see that there is not much going on around the Atlantic but plenty along the Pacific Rim.
thirty.jpg
I would have thought Rainmeter calcs could make the necessary adjustments to produce a display centered on the Pacific.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Mordasius wrote:I would have thought Rainmeter calcs could make the necessary adjustments to produce a display centered on the Pacific.
Something like the lower of the two screenshots below which was a simple 180° shift of longitude on the map and the calcs in the skin. Mind you, a couple of earthquakes seem to have been erased from history so perhaps a little more tinkering is required.
:oops:
Untitled-1.jpg
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Mordasius wrote:From the map of earthquakes over the past 8-30 days (below) you can see that there is not much going on around the Atlantic but plenty along the Pacific Rim.
There's a message there about suitable places to live... :o

At least with the quakes on the left and right you can see more without overlapping? I appreciate there are different map types, but we are fairly settled on the existing ones. Mind you there appear to be some interesting variants available... :Good1:
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the great feedback.

True, it would be more impressive to center the map on the Pacific Rim (where most earthquakes happen). The reason I centered the map where I did is because it was easier to translate the Latitude and Longitude on a map where the center is at 0,0. It actually took me quite a while to figure out the formula. I will fiddle around with making it center on the Pacific Rim.

I also have a few other changes to make. :D

-Brian
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

The lower screen shot is of your EarthquakeMap 1.1 skin with a modified version of Quakes.inc and a map centered on 150E (both in the attachment).
Untitled-1.jpg
Brian
Developer

Re: EarthquakeMap 1.2

Post by Brian »

Thanks Mordasius! I was just in the process of editing the map when I saw your post. If you don't mind, I will use your map and modified math in my calcs.

I also changed how each point is drawn. Before, the most recent earthquake was drawn first, therefore was always on the bottom if another earthquake happened nearby. Now the most recent earthquake is drawn last.

I also made each icon draw in proportion to the magnitude (see screenshot below). The bigger the earthquake, the bigger the icon. :D

-Brian