It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Rainformer 3.1 HWiNFO Edition

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: My moon.lua issue in SunMoon.ini

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:08 am Appreciate if you examine this.
Yeah, might be. I never took into account the possible time zone differences, but it probably indeed might have an importance. Will try to analize the reported issue, let's see what can I figure out.
Thanks for reporting.
mak_kawa

Re: Rainformer 2.4 HWiNFO Edition (formerly illustro Pulsar)

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi balala

I really appreciate for your works/efforts on Rainmeter.
I am looking forward to your result at ease. Again, thank you.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: October 10th, 2019, 11:39 pm I really appreciate for your works/efforts on Rainmeter.
I am looking forward to your result at ease. Again, thank you.
As promised I'll take a look, but unfortunately I had no time yet. Probably this weekend I will.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: My moon.lua issue in SunMoon.ini

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:08 am Appreciate if you examine this. And needless to say but, sorry if I am stupidly missing something...
Ok, I finally had enough time to take a look. No, probably you're not missing anything.
Please try to replace the existing SKIN:Bang('!SetVariable Age "'..string.format('%.2f',(synmonth * (fixangle(MoonAge) / 360)))..'"') command of the phase(pdate, unit) function within the @Resources folder, with the following one: SKIN:Bang('!SetVariable Age "'..string.format('%.2f',(synmonth * ((fixangle(MoonAge)-timeZone) / 360)))..'"').
Did this fix the difference issue?
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi balala
Really thanks for your response/efforts, on your holiday?

So far, your modification for moon age output is possibly not always necessary correction? But I'm not sure.

Attached is a comparison sheet of two outputs from original/modified moon.lua referring moon age data by Japanese official astronomy site (NAOJ).
Untitled.png
The result seems to me that the original code might be valid.

Original:

Code: Select all

SKIN:Bang('!SetVariable Age "'..string.format('%.2f',(synmonth * (fixangle(MoonAge) / 360)))..'"')
Modified:

Code: Select all

SKIN:Bang('!SetVariable Age "'..string.format('%.2f',(synmonth * ((fixangle(MoonAge)-timeZone) / 360)))..'"')
But saying again, I don't know what is correct in astronomical calculation, because of my shortage of...:-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: October 13th, 2019, 4:37 am So far, your modification for moon age output is possibly not always necessary correction? But I'm not sure.
Ok, where have you found the previous age calculation? What astronomy sites have you used?
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi balala

Thanks for response.

My moon.lua is from the package of pul53dr1v3r's Rainformer 2.4 HWiNFO Edition.
And, I have extracted SunMoon.ini and moon.lua from the package. Did not edited moon.lua before the workaround modification written in my previous post.

Astronomy site I have cited is the "Koyomi(=Calendar) Station" of the Astronomical Observatory of Japan (日本国立天文台).
I have used "Go -> Alt.,Azi.& Age of Moon" and "Go -> Lunar Phase Calendar" buttons in this page.
Also used Google Calendar -> Moon Phase Calendar to check special moon phase stages such as "Full Moon".
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: October 14th, 2019, 12:51 am Astronomy site I have cited is the "Koyomi(=Calendar) Station" of the Astronomical Observatory of Japan (日本国立天文台).
I have used "Go -> Alt.,Azi.& Age of Moon" and "Go -> Lunar Phase Calendar" buttons in this page.
Using this site right now I'm getting for the age of Moon 15.9 days. In the SunMoon skin the same age is 15.62. This means 24 x (15.9 - 15.62) which is approximately 6 hours and a half. I suppose this isn't an extrem difference, especially taking into account that probably completely different calculation algorithms are used. I probably will leave this as it is.
pul53dr1v3r

Post by pul53dr1v3r »

mak_kawa wrote: October 14th, 2019, 12:51 am
My moon.lua is from the package of pul53dr1v3r's Rainformer 2.4 HWiNFO Edition.
And, I have extracted SunMoon.ini and moon.lua from the package. Did not edited moon.lua before the workaround modification written in my previous post.
Hi mak. Just to mention that neither i have touched anything as to the Moon.lua, while Sun.lua code is a bit different from the original.
I only compared Moon rise and Moon set times an those are pretty accurate compared to a few web sites i used for the purpose.
As far as the Sun is concerned, the times differ from site to site but for up to 3-4 min, depending on the period of year and obviously, the sites' algorithm they use. The difference is sometimes in plus, sometimes in minus, sometimes equal to the value on the sites. I thing it's probably impossible to be completely accurate mostly because of mountains and elevation of our location. I've also wondered do they accurate it when the Sun starts to rises/sets or when it's completely risen/set. It can take a few mins as well without a doubt. Also, setting the exact longitude and latitude should cut the difference since setting the location via net is not so accurate, especially for larger cities.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Pul53dr1v3r wrote: October 14th, 2019, 5:20 pm I thing it's probably impossible to be completely accurate
As you said, there are sites with differences of a few minutes. It is completely impossible the SunMoon calculation to be the same as all of them, so there isn't complete accuracy, it can't be.
Pul53dr1v3r wrote: October 14th, 2019, 5:20 pm I've also wondered do they accurate it when the Sun starts to rises/sets or when it's completely risen/set.
There are more approaches, but probably the most accurate is this:
Astronomically, sunrise occurs for only an instant: the moment at which the upper limb of the Sun appears tangent to the horizon.
(Beginning and end here).