It is currently April 18th, 2024, 8:03 pm

VLC 1.0 released today...

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
jsmorley
Developer

VLC 1.0 released today...

Post by jsmorley »

Chewtoy

Re: VLC 1.0 released today...

Post by Chewtoy »

Neat. Though MPC is my player of choice, it does not handle as many formats as VLC. Time to see if it's time to get a new player of choice. :P
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Chewtoy wrote:Neat. Though MPC is my player of choice, it does not handle as many formats as VLC. Time to see if it's time to get a new player of choice. :P
Both are good. The problem with Media Player Classic is that you then really need to install one of the codec packages like K-Lite. VLC has pretty much everything you need built-in.

I keep both installed just in case, but find VLC does the job for me 99.9% of the time.
gschoppe
Developer

Post by gschoppe »

I like vlc except for two things.. clicking on the progress bar moves the video to the nearest chapter, not where you clicked, and the arrow keys control position in video, not volume.. if you maximize a window, while playing a vid, it doesn't stay maximized when the vid ends, but windows thinks it is still maximized...

I use MPC and CCCP, and love them, but VLC is kept around for difficult wmvs or broken files
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gschoppe wrote:I like vlc except for two things.. clicking on the progress bar moves the video to the nearest chapter, not where you clicked, and the arrow keys control position in video, not volume.. if you maximize a window, while playing a vid, it doesn't stay maximized when the vid ends, but windows thinks it is still maximized...

I use MPC and CCCP, and love them, but VLC is kept around for difficult wmvs or broken files
There are some things that MPC does better as far as user interface. I agree with that. I also am not particularly in love with the new beefed up VLC GUI.

But I like that I don't need a codec package, as they can sometimes cause conflicts with other tools which need codecs and it's just one less thing to manage. The only codec I have had to install since switching to VLC is the lame mp3 codec for Audacity. That (and as you say the ability to at least try to play "broken" files) is the selling point for me.
bhadkow

Post by bhadkow »

i use VLC and GOM players but most of the times i prefer gom cause its really simple to use and plays almost all the files our there..., but for broken files etc i use vlc....
shiraz07

Post by shiraz07 »

Was a long time user of VLC & still have the latest installed but rarely use it, much preferring KMPlayer now.

For a two hour film uses less CPU & a quarter of the memory that VLC uses & far less than foobar2000 for audio.Better interface & skins & plays everything you throw at it.Brilliant for capturing & saving a clip from a video.Probably the most advanced media player out there now.
molokot

Post by molokot »

hey, ive tried the kmp player, but the only down of it, is when i press enter (full screen) my screen goes purple, do you have any idea why thats happaning?
shiraz07

Post by shiraz07 »

Full screen is fine here from Enter or maximize button.
Try Preferences(F2) & reset by clicking on 'Initialize All Presets'.
molokot

Post by molokot »

problem was solved by reinstalling thx