It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:21 pm

Firefox 4.0b1

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
jsmorley
Developer

Firefox 4.0b1

Post by jsmorley »

So what are folks thinking about the changes to the UI in Firefox 4.0 beta 1?

http://lifehacker.com/5580817/first-look-at-the-improved-and-redesigned-firefox-4

I think I like it, although it might take some getting used to. I like tabs on top, and like that they in general have made things a bit smaller and tried to have the site you are on be the focus instead of the Firefox GUI. Not sure about that "Firefox" button yet, they have not put much under it so far, but they apparently have big plans for allowing you to put all kinds of things there.

P.S. If you hate that the "Firefox" button is all by itself on the top and is causing wasted space, or if you just hate orange, this article has a tip on how to change it.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/07/06/remove-stuck-firefox-4-orange-menu-button-css/
7-7-2010 9-59-10 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt

Re: Firefox 4.0b1

Post by Matt »

I'm waiting for the second beta before I jump in, but I'm quite pleased with the visual refresh. Looks pretty much like the mock-ups they released a while back.

While I like the appearance of tabs on top, I've never actually liked using a browser with that setup. But hey, it's Firefox. I won't complain about its default look because it's so easy to change.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Matt wrote:I'm waiting for the second beta before I jump in, but I'm quite pleased with the visual refresh. Looks pretty much like the mock-ups they released a while back.
There's always the portable version that I use for testing: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable/test
Matt

Post by Matt »

poiru wrote: There's always the portable version that I use for testing: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable/test
That's where I get my Firefox betas, too. ;)

I just like to let the roughest edges and biggest bugs get taken care of before I start playing around with it.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

It looks very much like google chrome I must say... And I certainly hope that that opacity effect is just your theme and not Firefox standard theme (I don't like it when you can see through programs, feels wrong).

But yeah. They've optimized it for web-site-viewing atleast. Like they should.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

What most people see as being "chrome-esque" are things that Mozilla has been working on for quite some time.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Sadly Beta 2 is also flawed. Vanishing address & search bars are unhelpful and the address bar retains the details of the first site visited but not those subsequent. Roll on B3... :arrowr:
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

smurfier

Post by smurfier »

After some research, I found a way to move the tabs up, into the title bar. This has been around for a bit, but there was a problem with the menus being hidden behind the firefox button. I seem to have found a solution. Just copy the following into your userChrome.css in your AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\chrome folder. You can change the button color via the background-color line.

Code: Select all

#appmenu-button-container {
position: fixed !important;
} 
 #appmenu-button {
 background-color: rgba(49, 0, 74, 0.5) !important;
}
#navigator-toolbox[tabsontop="true"] #TabsToolbar {
padding-left: 95px !important;
margin-top: 1px !important;
}
padding-left: 95px !important;
padding-top:1px !important;
padding-right:103px !important;
}

#file-menu {
margin-left: 95px !important;
}
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

This is what I'm using (the Firefox menu is useless IMO. I prefer to press alt to show the normal menu):

Code: Select all

#appmenu-button-container {
display:none;
}
#appmenu-button {
display:none;
}
padding-right:110px !important;
}
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

You've got a point there. I'm trying to get used to it being there. If it contained the entire menu bar, then it would have more purpose. There's apparently a way to make it look however you want which I will be playing with later.