It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:19 pm

AutoHotKey Virtual Desktop Enhancer Script Win10 64-bit

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

AutoHotKey Virtual Desktop Enhancer Script Win10 64-bit

Post by eclectic-tech »

SDIAS posted win-10-virtual-desktop-enhancer AHK script to enhance using Virtual Desktops on Windows 10 64-bit systems

NOTE: Due to the library used it only works on 64-bit systems.

I have been using and enjoying the versatility it offers, so I put together a compiled version that can be installed via rmskin without needing to have AutoHotKey installed.

All of the original documentation is included. To change settings please refer to the docs.

I renamed the 'settings.ini' to 'settings.inc' so it is not detected as a skin. I included 'settings-default.inc' in case you mess up while editing; just copy and paste as 'settings.inc' and reload to return to the default settings.

I also added an option to open the settings.inc file for editing to the desktop notification icon.

When you load the 'StartEnhancer.ini', it will run the compiled script and unload the skin.
You will see a new icon in the notification area and a short message will show you are on Desktop 1.

All of the default hotkey combinations for Win10 Virtual Desktops will work.
Scrolling the mouse anywhere on the task bar will change desktops.
Left-click the notification icon to open the desktop overview.
Right-click the notification icon to show a small context menu with options to:
  • open the overview (Manage)
  • reload the script after making changes (or if it gets confused)
  • open the 'settings.inc' in your text editor to set your preferences
  • exit/close the script.
The settings.inc file contains all the options to:
  • set hotkey controls
  • set alternate hotkeys
  • set individual desktop colors or wallpapers
  • open/close programs when switching desktops
  • and more.
There are several different icon sets that can be used. Simply copy the version you want from the icon/subfolder to the icon folder, overwriting the current ones and reload the script. You can create your own icon sets too ;-)

Thanks goes to SDIAS for this enhancement! :great:
Attachments
VirtualDesktopEnhancer64_1.2018.02.25.rmskin
(773.09 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
nidzo

Re: AutoHotKey Virtual Desktop Enhancer Script Win10 64-bit

Post by nidzo »

I really appreciate this desktop enhancer!!!! THANKS.
Is there anw way to show the desktop name (in the taskbar or somewhere else) when switching between virtual desktops?
thanks
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: AutoHotKey Virtual Desktop Enhancer Script Win10 64-bit

Post by eclectic-tech »

nidzo wrote: February 25th, 2020, 9:34 am I really appreciate this desktop enhancer!!!! THANKS.
Is there anw way to show the desktop name (in the taskbar or somewhere else) when switching between virtual desktops?
thanks
It has been a while since I used this, but I believe it is possible to show the desktop name for a few seconds when you switch to it, but I am not aware of any way to permanently display the current desktop name.

Sadly, sdias is not supporting any updates to this script, so the capabilities it currently has are all that you can work with, unless you want to modify the script yourself or someone else takes it on.