It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:56 pm

[Tutorial] How to remove taskbar in Windows 7 (not 8 or 8.1)

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
HelloAndGoodbye

[Tutorial] How to remove taskbar in Windows 7 (not 8 or 8.1)

Post by HelloAndGoodbye »

Hi people!

Something not really related to Rainmeter directly.

I have found a way to remove the taskbar in Windows 7 only using a program called "Ultimate Windows Customizer".

I don't know if any of you have heard of it but it has functionality to remove the taskbar (and the start menu button) which a lot of people seem to want - why would you want to remove it??!!

Anyway, the download link is at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-customizer

How to do this?:
Click on the "Taskbar" button and select the options that you want in the "Misc Options" section
After enabling "Hide Taskbar and Start Button":
(No, I didn't 'autohide' my taskbar - it's actually gone)
Notice that gap at the bottom of my browser where my taskbar used to be. Highly recommended to set your rainmeter taskbar's position in that spot.

NOTE: IT WILL CREATE A RESTORE POINT JUST BEFORE IT APPLIES THE CHANGES

Just make sure you have your windows key working or a Rainmeter taskbar, so you can at least access the start menu!

Hope this helps! :D
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Tutorial] How to remove taskbar in Windows 7 (not 8 or

Post by Yincognito »

Does this fine program have a way to change the desktop work area?

Rainmeter can do it (although it is sensible to changing resolutions) :

Code: Select all

DesktopWorkAreaType=1
DesktopWorkArea=0,30,0,30
(this will create space for a "top taskbar") and there is also Desktop Coral that can do it too.

The thing is... personally I want to keep the Windows Taskbar. What I want to do instead is creating a "reserved" space for another one (Rainmeter's) in another part of the desktop.

P.S. Of course, this would be kind of obsolete when Windows 10 will be released - I saw that they will make multiple desktops feature available in that version. So instead of putting Rainmeter skin on the same desktop space, one could pretty much put A LOT MORE Rainmeter skins in a separate and easily accesible desktop. Of course, this would require that the multiple desktop feature be available also as a startup option (so that you could start with multiple configured desktops at every logon - one of which will be the Rainmeter one)...
HelloAndGoodbye

Post by HelloAndGoodbye »

No sorry. DesktopCoral is dedicated to that particular function whereas this program is to maximize customizability for Windows 7 such as changing Start Orb, Taskbar, Logon Screen and Explorer so it may not have some features that you want as there are too many features that can be added.

This was just a guide for those people who wanted to remove the Windows taskbar although sadly this program doesn't work for Windows 8 or 8.1 and hasn't been updated since 2011.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Ok, thank you for clearing it up.