It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:18 am

After 15 Years Winamp will shuts down...

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

After 15 Years Winamp will shuts down...

Post by GhostMatrix »

The website and all of Winamp’s web services will shut down on December 20 and the desktop player will no longer be available for download.
If you still want a copy of Winamp, skins or some plugins from the Winamp.com site, you have untill December 20 to do it!

GM
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 0.1

moshi

Re: After 15 Years Winamp will shuts down...

Post by moshi »

:-(

Winamp is my main audio player. i have not found anything that i like better. i will have to backup the installer.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Wow... Me too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Anything discontinued that was worth saving, can be found at http://www.oldapps.com/winamp.php

8-)
sa3er

Post by sa3er »

Yea the day I heard this, at first I thought it was a late April's fools joke. But then well this is how Apple, Google and Spotify probably beat AOL/Nullsoft on audio player business. Wish they could release the source though so the legend could continue somehow maybe.

And whats with the 666 as the latest final release! :twisted:

RIP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sa3er

Post by sa3er »

Chaos wrote:Anything discontinued that was worth saving, can be found at http://www.oldapps.com/winamp.php

8-)
The latest Build at this moment is 5.6.6.3516 compiled on 12 December 2013 with MD5 hash 110CD80079E9572AEF511B0491E63B8C.
The one on OldApps is old and not updated so grab your copy from the official website before it's too late.
LionHeart

Post by LionHeart »

RIP Winamp, now i use vlc
chato

Post by chato »

I use the best of all: Windows Media Player :???:
sa3er

Post by sa3er »

Surprise boys and girls!

Winamp May Not Shut Down After All
http://techland.time.com/2013/12/20/winamp-may-not-shut-down-after-all/
We might have gotten all nostalgic for nothing, as Winamp will reportedly avoid being shut down today.

According to TechCrunch, AOL is “finalizing negotiations” to sell Winamp and the Shoutcast Internet radio service to an unnamed buyer. Both products would live on under the deal, says “a source with knowledge of the discussions.”

While the deal isn’t done yet, it’s apparently close. In the meantime AOL may keep the MP3 software on its servers beyond the announced shutdown date of December 20.

TechCrunch previously reported that Microsoft was interested in buying Winamp. It’s not clear whether that’s still the case.

After taking Winamp for a spin last month, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it performed in its old age. I’d probably start using it more often if my music listening hadn’t shifted entirely to streaming sources such as Rdio, Songza and Pandora.

If Winamp does get a stay of execution, we’ll probably hear more details soon. In the meantime, read this wonderful ode to Winamp by Ryan Sims, who is now the head of design at Rdio.