It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:42 pm

Hide TaskBar, Show SysTray. How to?

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
K o M a R

Hide TaskBar, Show SysTray. How to?

Post by K o M a R »

Hey guys,

I'm using Taskbar Eliminator and Rainmeter Start Button that I've made. Now, I was wondering if there's a way of showing only System Tray Icons, w/o any background and ofc, w/o the taskbar?

I've read almost every topic here about taskbars but found nothing useful. What I want to do is to change the Notification Icons to my liking and place them where ever I want(i.e. top left), ofc preserving the standard interaction.

Thanks!
I'm not young enough to know everything....
r0k

Re: Hide TaskBar, Show SysTray. How to?

Post by r0k »

There is no easy way of doing this.
The tray icons area is a control that's attached to the taskbar. To get the tray alone you would have to either code a component that would call the same Windows API functions (i havn't found any tray replacement application that can be redistributed with a skin so far) or find a way to "steal" the tray from the taskbar.
I know the later is possible with AutoHotKey and i plan to try doing this in the near future but i still havn't started so i can't help you much more :confused:
K o M a R

Post by K o M a R »

Thanks for the response anyway, I'll try AutoHotKey, to see what options it offers! :) If I don't find what I'm looking for, I'll ask the rest of my nerd herd to try cracking this SysTray thing. ^^

Will update if something comes up, ofc.
Klexur

Post by Klexur »

If you use emergeDesktop (linked in my signature) you can accomplish this. Keep in mind though that eD is an alternate shell and you will need to customize it since you probably won't like the default skin.
The quiet and inquisitive one.
K o M a R

Post by K o M a R »

Wow, Klexur, this looks very promising! I'll give it a shot.

Thanks a lot!
Klexur

Post by Klexur »

Welcome to emerge ;)
If you have any eD specific questions feel free to ask them on the emergeForums. I or somebody else should be able to help.
K o M a R

Post by K o M a R »

Klexur wrote:Welcome to emerge ;)
If you have any eD specific questions feel free to ask them on the emergeForums. I or somebody else should be able to help.
The combination of eD and Rainmeter is truly amazing! I've got everything I need and I love the eD's customization options, it wasn't hard to configure at all! I'll be exploring its possibilities further more!

Thanks again! :) :bow2:
Klexur

Post by Klexur »

I love the minimalism behind eD and have been using it for a few years now. I have most of my past screenshots on DeviantArt, and my most recent one in my sig. If you have a DeviantArt account you could join the recently created eD group. ;)

P.S. I also noticed you recently joined the eD forums.
K o M a R

Post by K o M a R »

Klexur wrote:I love the minimalism behind eD and have been using it for a few years now. I have most of my past screenshots on DeviantArt, and my most recent one in my sig. If you have a DeviantArt account you could join the recently created eD group. ;)

P.S. I also noticed you recently joined the eD forums.
I'll check out the group, though my current DA account is empty(last one deactivated due to my old mail being hacked :( ). :)
r0k

Post by r0k »

Yep. Of course an alternative shell can do the trick.
If you consider going this way there you might also want to look at LiteStep. As other alternative shells it will look ugly by default but can be customized.

I'm still trying to get something that works with Windows Explorer as lots of people won't consider alternative shells. So far i'va managed to extract the Notification Area and the Application Switcher from my Windows7 taskbar (the start menu is already a "Stand Alone" windows on Win7) and attach them to a skin but then they become invisible :confused: