It is currently April 16th, 2024, 9:04 am

! TBA ! - Cairo: Windows Shell Alternative

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
iUnify

! TBA ! - Cairo: Windows Shell Alternative

Post by iUnify »

Hey everyone, I don't know if you recall my other post on this page, but I wrote about asking how to change the background color of the Folder Windows in Vista. Every option I had come up with was worse than second rate and either messed things up or just didn't work at all. I was discussing Rainmeter with a friend of mine to see if he would be interested in joining the revolution ;) and he pointed me in the direction of two different applications. So I now give to you! :)

The first I know most if not all of you must be familiar with, FreeBSD (freebsd.org). It is not something I know how to use and I don't know if you can even change folder backgrounds with it but it looks to be a nice piece of software.

The second, is not available just yet. This, however, has me very intrigued. The first image that pops up on their opening screen is of an Explorer Windows in Vista that is customized in a very sleek manor, including a nice solid dark gray background in the folder both in the Navigation Pane as well as the Main Window.

I am not sure just yet when it is to be release but I will surly keep my eye on it. I suggest you guys take a look too.

If you do, let me, and whoever else may read this know what you think of it by leaving some feedback here. :D

P.S. - A Little Bonus Software Surprise
This isn't actually as cool as it may sound! ;) ...but, while I am throwing out cool, unreleased software titles to the forum, I figured I'd put this little link up as well. It is called, Favo. It is to be a Bookmark Organizer. I am not sure how many people will consider this to be completely unnecessary or if anyone already uses a 3rd party app for this but as I have mentioned before on this forum, I am very organized (sometimes too much! :oops: ) so this has been a little utility that's had me excited for some time now. The downside? Just that, it's had me excited for some time now.... as in, they have advertising the program for a long time and still no release. Not even a beta. But hey, I only promised pictures, right? It's worth a gander, I say! Check out this link to see Favo (www.favo.com).
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ! TBA ! - Cairo: Windows Shell Alternative

Post by Alex2539 »

iUnify wrote:The first I know most if not all of you must be familiar with, FreeBSD (freebsd.org). It is not something I know how to use and I don't know if you can even change folder backgrounds with it but it looks to be a nice piece of software.
Somehow, I don't think you're going to want to change your entire operating system just for the sake of some folders ;).
ImageImageImageImage
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I really liked what I saw of Cairo. However, that was at least a year ago, maybe two, and they don't seem to have made much progress in that time. There's not even a mention of Windows 7 compatibility. So I'm doubtful.
thadarklord

Post by thadarklord »

Hate to disappoint You but BSD is an operating system (like windows or linux) and cairo is pretty much vaporware.
Oh and what You see on the front page of cairo site is just a mock-up.
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

If you are right (hey, I can still keep my fingers crossed can't I?) about Cairo being what you say it is, would it not go against the dicussions in the forum? I didn't spend much time there but from what I read it seemed like....well.... it is called, "Cairo: Windows Shell Alternative". I sure hope you are wrong.

And about the image being a mock up... I don't know about that either- there is more about it thought the website and I found a theme on Deviant Art (the one I am trying to get working on my PC but I can't get ANY themes working for some reason) that is the same picture.... and it changed the backgrounds of the explorer folders amongst other things.

Like I said, I don't know crap about it but I really hope it works out.

Oh, and Kaelri- you said that it's all pretty old- ha... it's funny you said that- I also mentioned Favo on the post... I have been looking into that for about a year and the only thing that changed on the site was "3rd quarter 2009 Beta Release" which used to say something like "December 2008 release".

I emailed the people of Favo and they seemed very confident in their work and a release... I will do the same with Cairo to get some answers. I didn't get to write on their forums but I signed up.

Anyone know anything else about that stuff let me know, please!
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

Kaelri: I was just about to turn out the lights and head to bed when I took a quick look back at Cairo. Check out this quote...

"
Cairo Milestone 2
Milestone 1.2 was released May 10 to limited testers and was found to be extremely stable and bug-free for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. To date, only 30 bug reports – many of them small – have been filed for M1.2. Mission accomplished!
Read More »

Published June 5th, 2009 by Michael | 64 Comments »
"
<<<Information From (http://www.cairoshell.com/news/) Cairo News Website >>>

I guess that exes out the idea of no windows 7, no 2009 and no new developments... my hope will not be shaken!!! :lol: Seriously though, it does look like there are some (64 ish) people interested in it as least. :D

thadarklord: Were you saying that Cairo was like another OS? It runs on Windows...XP, Vista and 7. Check out the link above in parentheses. I have faith the app will see the light of day- without faith you ain't got shit anyways right? (believe me, I am a realist but I am also a man of faith). Eh, at least I hope it comes out :!: :roll:

OK, so these things are from Deviant Art about Cairo- but I am unsure how they connect as of yet. I wonder if the guy is involved in the project or just a fan?

<<< Cairo VS Vista Theme (http://crystal-coke.deviantart.com/art/Cairo-VS-91552800) DevArt >>>

Notice that the theme has the same background as the picture on the Cairo Homepage. And last, but not least... does this support or derail TheDarkLord's harsh (but maybe justly so) claim of a 'Vaporware' application? You Decide.... ;)

<<< Areo Cairo Shell Inspired beta (http://vexxxor.deviantart.com/art/Areo-Cairo-shell-Inspired-beta-104592021) Vista Theme >>>

Time to email this guy, VeXXxOr, hmm?

Later everyone, I really gotta jet, I'm falling asleep at the keyboooooooooooooooooooooooo
thadarklord

Post by thadarklord »

Uhm dude, read: freebsd is an operating system.
Cairo is a shell alternative generally considered a vaporware. It took them (I'm talking about cairo here) 2 or 3 years to release first (and not really working) alpha. It looked pretty much nothing like the "screenshot" on front page (it didn't do anything either). Trust me, I tried it myself.
Edit: those links You posted are visual styles inspired by cairo concept. They have nothing to do with official cairo builds.
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

DarkLord: How long ago was it you got to try Cairo? How did you get to be part of the select group of people to test it?

What a bummer that it looked nothing like the screen-shot and did nothing? When you say that I know you can't mean it did NOTHING....right? :lol: As it, it was just a skeleton with some skin... no organs? No functions? Nothing? :lol: That sucks.

Oh well- I suppose it's not all that uncommon. It did look like it woulda be really cool if the picture was anything like the program. :D
thadarklord

Post by thadarklord »

It displayed a bar at the top of the screen and a few menus. That's pretty much it. And if You wanna try it for Yourself, just google it ;)
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

Hah, no way... maybe I will for giggles. Thanks man. :D