Processor
14%
RAM!!!
57%

Total votes: 7
chutchick

Upgrading computer, need your opinion

Post by chutchick »

Hello rainies... i recently got a stroke of goodluck and landed enough cash to upgrade my computer. first of all, here's the current spec:
Mobo: Asus P5kpl-am SE
Proc: Pentium D 2.9ghz
Ram: 1gig 6400
Video: the integrated intel g31/g33 express (yes, the one that came with the mobo)
hd: 160gigs

now the question is simple, given that i only have enough cash to do one upgrade, which should it be?

-A NEW PROCESSOR
-A NEW VIDEO CARD
-MOAR RAM!!!

The processor is actually quite far from my budget but im putting it in because among the things listed, it is the oldest, so maybe... just maybe... hahaha

Video card= most likely sparkle 9400 GT (if you have anything to say about this vc, tell me)

Ram= 1 or 2 more gigs... most likely 2...heh

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

PS: most of you might get shocked why im running on such a low system. Well, im actually from the philippines, and here, everything is expensive. imagine this: :Embarrassed:

(converted for your convenience)
daily allowance: 2$ (lunch meal = 1.5$, transportation fare= .5$ so basically, nothings left)
average cost of sparkle 9400 = 50$
ram 2gigs = 55$ :shock:

so that basically it. Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly contribute on this. :D
:lol: 8-) :shock: :twisted:
bendenfield

Re: Upgrading computer, need your opinion

Post by bendenfield »

I think it depends on what you use your computer for.

For instance, for playing games I and most of the game developers recommend to use a nVidia or at least an AMD. Onboard video cards aren't that good.

An upgrade of your processor is in my opinion not the best thing you can do. The GHz's are enough for almost everything except for video manipulation and some games.

Personally, I would upgrade the RAM. 1 GB is definitly not enough for me, but as I said before, it really depends on what you are using your computer for.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Just having a card bny Nvidia or AMD is not enough to go on if you're planning on playing games, the actual model of the card does matter. The 9400 GT will get you by on movie watching and some really old games, but nothing current. If you're planning on playing games, I suggest spending just a little bit more on a GeForce 9600 GT. It's still under $100 and should get you on to some the newer stuff. However if gaming isn't what you're going for, then RAM is the way to go. An extra GB or two often makes a huge difference.
ImageImageImageImage
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I'm with Alex on this one. If you're a big gamer, the new video card will definitely be a blessing. But if not, the RAM is absolutely the way to go.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You almost need to deal with the RAM no matter where you go with the video card. 1Meg is just not going to cut it anymore.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Well with gaming (most games at least), the video card is the determining factor. I can play older games decently with just 1 Gig of RAM in my laptop because I happen to have a (3 year old) gaming GPU. It does take quite a bit more care. With RAM, all you need to do is make sure that it's the right slot type and at least as fast as your current RAM. With a video card you need to put a little effort into research. There's a difference between a budget card and a bad card.

Again, if games aren't your target, then just stick with the RAM.
ImageImageImageImage
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

I actually got to go with the flow...
RAM is the way to go if you want to multitask or the like.
Rule of thumb (and this is really rule of THUMB): More RAM for more applications at the same time. Faster CPU for dealing with the applications faster. Graphic card to make it look good.

So I would go with RAM as the base. Unless you are a gamer. Then CPU might be the way to go as you want some flow in it. If you're a graphic kind of guy, video card. But then you need upgrade the others as well for it to actually be able to look as good as you want it.
(This is how I think when upgrading my stuff. And it has worked pretty blessed well so far.)
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
bhadkow

Post by bhadkow »

well i have two systems.. one is old n one is new... lets forget about the new one for now :)

old ones got these...

intel P4 processor 3ghz
ram 1gb
nvidia graphics card 256mb, agp !!
19"monitor
intel 865 motherboard...

all the apps except the latest games (max nfs- most wanted at res 1024x720)...

i am using windows 7 (aero doesn't work). everything works fine even photoshop cs4!! norton drags though :twisted:

so comparing your system with mine ..., go with graphic card if u want gaming..,

a new 2 gb ram wont help u with gaming but it sure speeds up your system.

if i were u i would go for graphic card , reason being- games , games n more games!! 8-)

but your g31 chipset is also good for old games. nfs carbon , cod 4 n few others thats all u get!!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

As someone who builds custom computers for a living.
I make the following observation.

Do not even look at gaming at this point!

To goal to any system build or upgrade is balance.
Anything that is an imbalance creates what is commonly known as a choke point.

If you get the upgrade in video card, your Ram becomes the choke point, and you will never forgive yourself.
If you upgrade the processor, you are limited by the MoBo.
In this case...I would go so far as to suggest something that costs way too much.

So you are looking to extend the life of what you have.
The graphics can wait, 2.9Ghz is still nothing for the average individual to stick their nose up at.

The graphics card can come in time.

RAM is the way to go!
Whether you are using XP or higher, 32bit or more, RAM is always a way to go:
2G in 32 bit is generally more than enough
and up to 16 Gigs in 64 bit per CPU die.

I know it is a hard choice, graphics over system performance, but system performance is where I would start, and then wait for an Nvidia 9600 or an ATI 4830 to come into my price range.

You will also get some video improvement as the video being onboard shares your RAM, but do not expect any recent games to play very well.
chutchick

Post by chutchick »

thank you everyone for such helpful replies. I knew i asked the right kind of guys when i posted it here. :clap:

Ive looked over everyone's sides carefully but i got to say, sarge won me over.
Unfortunately (and i know this was my fault to begin with), i forgot to mention that i am not much of a gamer since i play most of my games on my ps2. But nonetheless, i learned a crapload of stuff from you all. THANK YOU

Ive decided to go for RAM, around 2 gigs more. so a total of 3 gigs. nvrmind the processor, but by january of next year, a new video card ... maybe.. :sthumbsu: \o/
:lol: 8-) :shock: :twisted: