It is currently May 26th, 2019, 2:22 am

Skins Library?

Discussion about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
sgtevmckay

Re: Skins Library?

sgtevmckay » April 25th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Agreed

I will take this up with the other Admin
User avatar
gschoppe
Developer
Posts: 93
Joined: April 26th, 2009, 8:30 pm
Location: St Johnsbury, VT

Re: Skins Library?

gschoppe » April 29th, 2009, 1:39 am

Here's my thought... Skins codex Wiki ... allow anyone to submit a skin link, description, screenshot, etc... and auto index them for searching, popularity, and genres
Image
sgtevmckay

Re: Skins Library?

sgtevmckay » April 29th, 2009, 1:45 am

gschoppe wrote:Here's my thought... Skins codex Wiki ... allow anyone to submit a skin link, description, screenshot, etc... and auto index them for searching, popularity, and genres
Question;
How would the skin builders add, or update, there skins to this wiki DB?

Since I am new to forum Admin, and refuse to be listed as one, until I learn more about how to do so, and the moderation procedures. I am learning the software, through there tut's and vid's

Is there a link to a site where I could get a better look at what you are describing?

Thanks
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 19245
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: Skins Library?

jsmorley » April 29th, 2009, 2:42 am

sgtevmckay wrote: Question;
How would the skin builders add, or update, there skins to this wiki DB?

Since I am new to forum Admin, and refuse to be listed as one, until I learn more about how to do so, and the moderation procedures. I am learning the software, through there tut's and vid's

Is there a link to a site where I could get a better look at what you are describing?

Thanks
It wouldn't be done in this software (PHPBB). You would have to install some Wiki template / software on the server.

Here is a link to a LIfehacker article that explains it pretty well.

http://lifehacker.com/software/wikipedia/geek-to-live-set-up-your-personal-wikipedia-163707.php
User avatar
gschoppe
Developer
Posts: 93
Joined: April 26th, 2009, 8:30 pm
Location: St Johnsbury, VT

Re: Skins Library?

gschoppe » April 29th, 2009, 2:47 am

I hate to say it, but it would have to be a custom job, not a pre-built software package... I could probably make something...

as horrible as it is, imagine an image board like 4chan (ugh), where anyone can post an image, a description, and a link...

now add tagging...

now add "related skins" option...

now add categories...

now add moderation (maybe mandatory) or wiki-style user correction...

now add search...
Image
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 19245
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: Skins Library?

jsmorley » April 29th, 2009, 3:19 am

It might work ok with the free Wiki software. Just install it on your server (it's easy) and configure it and off you go.

I set one up for you to look at on our server at:

http://uzaclan.com/RainmakerWiki/index.php

Just create an account and you can add pages, edit stuff, the works.

I will leave this up for a few days so you guys can look at it, but really it's easy to set up on your own server. Get the required software here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wikipedia/mediawiki-1.5.8.tar.gz?download
Last edited by jsmorley on April 29th, 2009, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
gschoppe
Developer
Posts: 93
Joined: April 26th, 2009, 8:30 pm
Location: St Johnsbury, VT

Re: Skins Library?

gschoppe » April 29th, 2009, 3:28 am

basically, I'd recommend a custom solution for usability... most 'raineers' are unlikely to create a complete wiki page for each config they find or create, and its much harder to browse through an off the shelf wiki without significant prepwork for each page... a system like I propose would be more intuitive and quick, therefore more likely to be used... also, likely more concise, making browsing several configs at a time easier...

this is all without any real time put into brainstorming, so I may be wrong about some or all of this.
Image
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 19245
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: Skins Library?

jsmorley » April 29th, 2009, 3:33 am

gschoppe wrote:basically, I'd recommend a custom solution for usability... most 'raineers' are unlikely to create a complete wiki page for each config they find or create, and its much harder to browse through an off the shelf wiki without significant prepwork for each page... a system like I propose would be more intuitive and quick, therefore more likely to be used... also, likely more concise, making browsing several configs at a time easier...

this is all without any real time put into brainstorming, so I may be wrong about some or all of this.
You may be right. Wiki's do scare some people. My thinking was that folks would "add to" a "Skins Library" page rather than creating one from scratch, but even so it is a bit more intimidating than standard forum users are used to...
vitasimplex
Posts: 19
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Re: Skins Library?

vitasimplex » May 1st, 2009, 8:28 am

Why not just have a system similar to Deviant Art and customize.org, minus the quirks. Is that a possibility? Reinventing the wheel isn't necessary for what I was suggesting. Would dedicating a section for skins, just something, just enough to get ideas started be enough? It can always be improved upon in the future. Options exists for users in DA and Customize so you won't lose anything in attempting a skins database.
User avatar
gschoppe
Developer
Posts: 93
Joined: April 26th, 2009, 8:30 pm
Location: St Johnsbury, VT

Re: Skins Library?

gschoppe » May 1st, 2009, 11:46 am

basically, three things cause issue...

1) DA and Customize are both custom coding jobs, likely based around a simple CMS system... If you look on the internet archive, you can see how much they've evolved over the years... a system like that couldn't be thrown together in a couple weeks.

2) storage and traffic for a full database would be HUGE, I'm not sure our gracious host would want that sort of cost incurred... on the flip side, a sort of codex that logs other storage solutions would be tiny by comparison, and use less bandwidth.

3) if we did a full storage solution, it would further fragment the already haphazard skinning community into DA, Customize, and Rainmeter.net ... making it harder, not easier for people to locate the skin seen in a screenshot, or referenced online. Remember that due to rainmeter's odd licensing, we cannot assume that we have the rights to host other people's skins, without their consent.

We need, first and foremost, a searchable set of links, descriptions, and screenshots of the existing skins... dealing with attempting to get people to host rainmeter configs in one place is a Much Bigger job, and will take time.
Image