It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:09 pm

Skins Library?

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
vitasimplex

Skins Library?

Post by vitasimplex »

Is there a desire to host a skins library or would having a skins library link to some of the known websites that already have a huge number be enough?
Last edited by vitasimplex on May 1st, 2009, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgtevmckay

Re: Skins Library?

Post by sgtevmckay »

I find this to be an interesting proposal.

It would be difficult for just the admin here to maintain it, but a release for new skins forum, and a track of old skins would be nice, but it definitely would not be an overnight operation.

Being that this forum represents Rainmeter, I think it would be a bit more appropriate than just leaving links to Devart and customize.

I think a link library could be a good thing for a start, but would require massive amounts of time to assemble something worth wild, a small description, a link, and a small image.

At the same time the every precept of this forum is to bring Raineers to a home, and that is where this individual concept is deriving from.

I think that both options should be seriously considered, and maybe a mixed solution can be developed.

Maybe an offer for skinners to place their own skins here, and ability for Raineers to download as well.
I concern myself with the space requirements, but ultimately I think this is one of the directions we are going in anyways, or should be.

A forum for skinners to place their skins, but also make the skins available to the public, but unlike deavart or customize, if they have questions, they could still be posed to the community at large or the builder with the community backing the skin builds.
One of the largest problems I have with Devart is the skin builder is virtually alone in supporting their skin and Rainmeter, we could help eliminate that. Also the fact that people can search forever and never find the one they are looking for, I have already seen evidence here, that the community can identify skins and pass that onto others.

It is my feeling to advise that skinners continue to post to their chosen sites, but that there is a home here, and community supported.
I say; Bring the Raineer guru's home.

As this would be no small matter, I would also like the thoughts of the other admin on this.
Rorix, DragonMage, NiteShdw?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I think there are a lot of places to host skins, although It would be nice to have it here as well. However, it would be cool if you guys could turn on "attachments" in posts. Being able to exchange .zip files with code samples, images etc. by attaching them to posts would be handy. It's a setting in the ACP and can be limited by file types (.zip/.rar only maybe) and size.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

jsmorley wrote:it would be cool if you guys could turn on "attachments" in posts.
Rorix, I thought we had turned this feature back on, I believe NiteShdw authorized this, but I know there is still a question of space.

We definitely need a closer consideration on this issue.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Cool... I was just thinking that if someone to put up a "work in progress" here to get comments or obtain help from other members it would be most effective right in the post and not hosted on Customize or Deviant where the whole world gets to see your mistakes... ;-)
vitasimplex

Post by vitasimplex »

I would welcome all skins mistakes and all, look at the guy that did the HUD Vision, he's updated his a number of times and it's the most popular skin out there.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

There is an unknown consensus that the attachment function may be on.

At the bottom of you post window, you should see a tab that says 'upload attachment", may ne the second tab in.

If this attachment tab is not showing, please advise
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sgtevmckay wrote:There is an unknown consensus that the attachment function may be on.

At the bottom of you post window, you should see a tab that says 'upload attachment", may ne the second tab in.

If this attachment tab is not showing, please advise
Yep... It's there. Sorry I didn't notice it before. This PHPBB3 style is laid out a bit different than the site I run and I just overlooked it.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

It's all good, I was unsure of the tab available to everybody, as the admin and Mods have different access.

Nice to know it is working :D
vitasimplex

Post by vitasimplex »

Thank you for the follow-up, but would it be worthwhile to have a dedicated area for this, even though this feature does exist? So in the old forums and on other forums, you have to dig through tons of posts to finally find something attachment of value, this forum could get big and messy rather quickly with random attachments all over the place that may be screenshots, ini files, pngs, icon sets, background, etc., etc.. I think it might be easier to find skins if they had a dedicated area, with functionality already built in, setting guidelines for the area would make it clean.