It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:05 pm

Larger Avatars?

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.

Shouls the forum Avatars be larger????

Poll ended at July 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 5
sgtevmckay

Larger Avatars?

Post by sgtevmckay »

Should our avatars be bigger?

Why or why not?

Sound off please
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Larger Avatars?

Post by jsmorley »

sgtevmckay wrote:Should our avatars be bigger?

Why or why not?

Sound off please
I did a quick measure and you have at least 200 pixels available on the average screen in the area that holds the avatar. So although I don't really care either way, as my avatar is fine as is, you could easily double it to 200 x 200 and use no more screen real estate than the mostly empty area does now.

So since it doesn't hurt anything, I voted "why not..."

One thing I would request people to do is to be kind about animations. I really like them in general, but really distracting seizure inducing animations on either avatars or signatures (a certain blue lightning bolt signature comes to mind) should be avoided.

GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

Post by GhostMatrix »

One thing I would request people to do is to be kind about animations. I really like them in general, but really distracting seizure inducing animations on either avatars or signatures (a certain blue lightning bolt signature comes to mind) should be avoided.
Same here!
A lot of forums don't allow the use of animated Gif because of that ...

---------------------
WinCert Forum rules:

5. Images in signatures should NOT exceed a total of 260x80px and 80kb in size. Flash and animated sigs are not permitted. You can enter max 4 lines of text in signature or signature image. Advertising and/or affiliates are not allowed in signatures nor avatars. (With the exception of one small link in addition to your signature just NO overt advertising). If your avatar or signature goes above these guidelines they will be taken off without previous notice. Members with slow connection can disable other members signatures when reading posts by going to: My Control - Options - Board Settings.

---------------------

(a certain blue lightning bolt signature comes to mind) on my side I don't saw it, because I replace it with a small blank image with my Firefox extension "My Image Here" :D

About Avatar size ...
My avatar is fine as is (100x100) in fact I resize the rain drop to be smaller in it, to fit with the general graphic lay-out of the forum.

Not all members will use a 200x200* image (*if you double the size) ... maybe this will give an irregular look for the forum. :?

My Image

GM
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 0.1

Chaos_Reign

Post by Chaos_Reign »

Sarge Just e-mailed me, and though that I should have a look.
I guess this is his kind way of saying that I am being annoying. :twisted:
I will attempt to tone it down.
Although I do not believe that I have an Avatar in my repitoir that is so large as 200 x 200.
I would not be unopposed, so long as the forum remains a propriety of it's concept, and not become a manajory for the avatar enthusiast.

I have voted yes, and will trust that the members here are of good sense.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

GhostMatrix wrote: Same here!
A lot of forums don't allow the use of animated Gif because of that ...

---------------------
WinCert Forum rules:

5. Images in signatures should NOT exceed a total of 260x80px and 80kb in size. Flash and animated sigs are not permitted. You can enter max 4 lines of text in signature or signature image. Advertising and/or affiliates are not allowed in signatures nor avatars. (With the exception of one small link in addition to your signature just NO overt advertising). If your avatar or signature goes above these guidelines they will be taken off without previous notice. Members with slow connection can disable other members signatures when reading posts by going to: My Control - Options - Board Settings.

---------------------

(a certain blue lightning bolt signature comes to mind) on my side I don't saw it, because I replace it with a small blank image with my Firefox extension "My Image Here" :D

About Avatar size ...
My avatar is fine as is (100x100) in fact I resize the rain drop to be smaller in it, to fit with the general graphic lay-out of the forum.

Not all members will use a 200x200* image (*if you double the size) ... maybe this will give an irregular look for the forum. :?

My Image

GM
All good points. I got rid of the blue lightning bolts by right clicking and saying "block image" using Adblock Plus. Since I am going to have adblock installed in any case, it is an extra benefit and I don't need another extension.

I request that sigs a max size of 500 X 150 or so on my forum, flash and .gif welcome if they are reasonable and not overly distracting. But it varies from forum to forum. A huge site with thousands of members is probably going to have to be a bit more restrictive so there is less work "policing" things. A smaller or more "community" site can afford to trust members to be kind to each other. I just don't like to "punish the many for the faults of the few". I'd rather just ask the few to knock it off and let the many have as much freedom as I can.

After thinking about it, I agree with you that we might want to stay with 100 x 100 for avatars. It's a size that most people are used to, and since we would end up wtih a mixture of 100 and 150 and 200 it could be strange looking...
redblack

Post by redblack »

I think it's fine as it is. The avatars aren't tiny and I like the ultra fast page load times!

A 100 x 150 limit would probably make bhadkow happy, I think he just wants to use a portrait oriented image without losing the width . .
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage

Post by GhostMatrix »

@ Chaos_Reign

Don't take it personally ... we only use those tools to fit our needs & tastes.
I served the same medicine to "sgtevmckay" with the Avatar he use at that time! :D http://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=1768#p1768
And like I said in that post ... " ... that way everybody is happy!" ;)

GM

dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I don't think we need to make them too big.
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage

Post by GhostMatrix »

I upgrade Firefox to the version 3.5 today (released today) and the "My Image Here" extension is not compatible with this version.
Was a nice tool for me and an easy way to test customized avatar or signature for other Members, or images for the forum. :(
And I lost my customized Smileys for the forum! :cry:

GM

sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ouch

Keep the faith though, as the addon dev folks have been updating like mad,

Over half of my addons have updated in the last 48 hours :D