It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:53 am

move 'tips n tricks' section n bring in a 'wiki'

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
bhadkow

move 'tips n tricks' section n bring in a 'wiki'

Post by bhadkow »

as the title says... is it possible n feasible???? wiki could become the rainmeter manual as well!!
and another thing is admins, u need to add a 'donate' thing.....it helps......, :)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: move 'tips n tricks' section n bring in a 'wiki'

Post by jsmorley »

bhadkow wrote:as the title says... is it possible n feasible???? wiki could become the rainmeter manual as well!!
and another thing is admins, u need to add a 'donate' thing.....it helps......, :)
I'm pretty sure Sgt. is looking at a wiki at some point in the future. However, I don't think it can or should replace "Tip & Tricks". First, editing a wiki to add entries is not something everyone knows how to do, and 90% of the folks here who would post a "hint" would probably not bother if they have to learn how to edit wiki entries. Second, "Tips & Tricks" is somewhat anecdotal and informal in nature, and a wiki should be a repository for verified and tested information that you want to "set in stone".

People post stuff in "Tips and Tricks" and others may come back and say "hmm... that didn't work right for me" or "cool, and here is another way to do that" and it's a "conversation" that ends up helping everyone. A wiki isn't a "conversation", it more like an "encyclopedia".

Both are good. They aren't the same thing...
bhadkow

Post by bhadkow »

yep u r right!! wat was i thinkin .... gone dumb 4 a moment der... am back now.. :mrgreen:
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

@ BhadKow

You are correct.
As Morley-Sam points out I am looking into the Wiki, as a viable solution.
But also as pointed out, the wiki configuration can be frustrating (Trust me I know, I just finished my first Wiki Publication at the dev site)

Tips & Tricks will remain.
Beyond the Wiki, I am also investigating other solutions, unfortunately a true Wiki page is the broadest and best over all solution.
It is Open Source, and purely upgradable by staff and members comments.
It would allow the community to builds, over time, a comprehensive manual.
This manual would include; History, training, and proven concepts.
Rainmeter, Dll's, Config starts, all in detail.

Of course there is the small issue of me getting off mt Butt :D
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Tips & Tricks remains

Wiki being studied

This subject closed :D