It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:38 pm

The new Rainmeter Guru Group

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: The new Rainmeter Guru Group

Post by jsmorley »

GhostMatrix wrote: You're right ... we will have that kind of problem with a ranking system.
You want the members to receive some appreciations from other members, like the karma feature at Wincustomize ?...

GM
That "karma" system looks like just the ticket GM!
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

Post by GhostMatrix »

@ jsmorley

Btw ... I fully understand your concern about being tag with an image related to the title you can have.
It's the same for me right now with the title "Guru", maybe it sound cool in the English culture, but believe me it's not here in Quebec (French culture)
I prefer to be tag as a Star Wars freak with no life or anything rather than Guru, because here in Quebec a "Guru" or in French "Gourou" is a <censored> spiritual weirdo, and we have one here called "Raël" http://www.rael.org/rael_content/index.php
When I say to my brother that I become a Guru at Rainmeter.net he just burst into a laugh ... :x

Believe me I prefer title like Master, Sensei, or whatever ... :P

GM
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

GhostMatrix wrote:@ jsmorley

Btw ... I fully understand your concern about being tag with an image related to the title you can have.
It's the same for me right now with the title "Guru", may be it sound cool in the English culture, but believe me it's not here in Quebec (French culture)
I prefer to be tag as a Star Wars freak with no life or anything rather than Guru, because here in Quebec a "Guru" or in French "Gourou" is a <censored> spiritual weirdo, and we have one here called "Raël" http://www.rael.org/rael_content/index.php
When I say to my brother that I become a Guru at Rainmeter.net he just burst into a laugh ... :x

Believe me I prefer title like Master, Sensei, or whatever ... :P

GM
:D
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Well maybe we can adjust the name of your group... I'll see if I can think of an alternative.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I am sorry, but I will be in and out as I install and do the do-hickey to a new hardd rive.

My current 2 cents:

How about "Tome of Wisdom" :D

Be in and out as I can
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

Post by GhostMatrix »

Until now the only one that I find is Wizard

GM
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ok, folks I have considered seriously.
I have come up with 2 ideas, one is a Native American (Indian) Concept and the other is back from the days of D&D (Dungeons and Dragons for the uninitiated); Yes I am a real old schooler, been playing D&D since 74, back when the concept of RPG was not even considered but folks were playing them, when TSR was still in control and names like Gary Gygax and Jeff Grubb meant something :D

Ok, seriously.
Out here in the "West", the Native Americans still hold Rain dances as a sacred ceremony, but also in the Navajo (Pronounce Nava - Ho), they also have Shaman that will predict and "Control" Rain.
In most Western Native American cultures, there is what is known as Cochina (Indian gods of weather and seasons), and these Cochina can be represented by an appointed (For lack of better term), as the physical representation. These folks are considered to be weather wise, and callers of the Rain.
A Rain Mage if you will, also (regardless of age) considered an elder by level of respect.
Well if we put a Latin twist in it, and re-translate it back to English, you get one of my suggestions:

Rainmancer

For my next serious suggestion, I just reference the old D&D books, which have a foot in actual history.
In the D&D a person that is human, but almost all knowledgeable about a subject, is referenced in the same way in early pre-Saxon history. These folks were learned in many areas, but did not know everything. These folks were scholars, and scientists, and experimenters of all things, with one goal in mind. To expand one's knowledge and educate others who would seek their Council!
And this leads me to my next suggestion:

Sage

Here you go for now, my time is up at this system, I will be at another friends house shortly, as my laptop at home is auto loading Windows 7, and I am in the field.

I am always open to more suggestions here.

As a final note.
I am not opposed to a Japanese or Jedi system, but from a respected point of view, I believe that these terms can and should be used commonly by those that are comfortable with them, and not as an appointed position. The ranks in the Jedi order (Now considered and Official Religion of England), is strict and observed, but in the Japanese Honorific System, honors and entitlements can change depending on the situation and subject.
I consider Mr. Morley-Sama and GhostMatrix-Sama both Senpai and I accept the position of Kohai, or Padawan learner, and both are true, but in respect to say the subject of a Linux Distro, my title may change to Senpai when dealing with Mr. Morley, but will change back to Kohai when dealing with Caledfwlch-Sensai , but under the Jedi code, this is not true. The Jedi way, all though beloved by myself, and is a standard to live up to, may be too ridged in this environment.
This is why, with respect, that such titles utilized from the Japanese and Jedi code should be used by folks that are comfortable doing so, and not used as a way of identifying a skill set. Especially as many of my skills are not skills that DragnMage-sama or GhostMatrix-sama may have, but they do have skills, education, and experience(s) that I do not :D

For further materials on the Japanese honorific titles please consult the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

How about "Rainman"?

"It's a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday. Two minutes to Judge Wapner."
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

That's Just WRONG!!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dirt Dog

Post by Dirt Dog »

How about Tsunami