It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:30 am

No longer recommending Customize.org

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

No longer recommending Customize.org

Post by jsmorley »

The sad current state of Customize.org

Customize.org has long been a great community to share desktop customization files, like skins for Rainmeter, Winamp, Bumptop and others, themes for Windows, wallpapers, icons, you name it.

However, the owner and creator of the site, who I won't drag into this publicly, has long ago moved on to other things, and the site has pretty much been on auto-pilot.

What this has caused is a site that for the last couple of years has been petty much 99.9% advertising spam as new submissions.

About a year ago, when advertising and malware was causing some grief there in the "Rainmeter" section, we were able to contact the owner, and he changed it so that new submissions to the Rainmeter area had to be "approved" by an admin before they were visible. He gave admin rights to several people active in the Rainmeter community.

While the rest of the site was still 90% spam, we were able to keep the Rainmeter area clean and safe.

Sadly, someone has hacked the server / site in some fashion in the last month or so. All admin accounts have been "banned", all @customize.org contact emails for the owner have been disabled, and in effect the entire site is in the hands of the bad guys. As far as the Rainmeter area, while what is currently there seems ok, no new submissions can ever be "approved". Don't bother posting there, as nobody will ever see it.

We have unsuccessfully attempted to contact the owner through other means, but it just looks like the site is entirely unattended and on its own. This is not a good thing...

We just can't recommend that anyone download or use skins from that site anymore. We just can't have any way to be sure you are getting something safe.

We have removed Customize.org from our Discover page on the main site. We continue to recommend deviantART as the best place to host and download skins for Rainmeter.
Crest

Re: No longer recommending Customize.org

Post by Crest »

What a sad state. Customize.org started going downhill after the redesign years ago imo. Changed the vibe the site had. Now sadly no longer the place it once was.

Liking the new Rainmeter board design on the other hand. Not sure if it's just me but also seems to load logins and pages faster.
SCR

Post by SCR »

Thanks for the heads up on customize.org. It's really to bad that it has fallen in to the hands of the bad guys. I used that site in the past but not so much in recent years.
canuckken

Post by canuckken »

I see that Mark logged on to the site 3 days ago.
Last edited by canuckken on April 18th, 2017, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crest

Post by Crest »

Which reminds me, doesn't moshi have a collection of skins only hosted on Customize.org?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Crest wrote:Which reminds me, doesn't moshi have a collection of skins only hosted on Customize.org?
I think he has started migrating them over to deviantART.
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

Hmm, sounds like an opportunity for a new site...
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Socks the Fox wrote:Hmm, sounds like an opportunity for a new site...
Not for rainmeter skins. There were at least three attemps to bring a better place for rainmeter skins during last several years, but all of them didn't blossom.

- Rainmeter Skin Gallery
- RainmeterHub
- Skinstr

I think for now deviantart stays the best home for thousands of rainmeter skins as well as the forums.
rick-t-fiedrain

Post by rick-t-fiedrain »

It might be a good time to remove the customize.org listing from the "important links" section of the forums.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

rick-t-fiedrain wrote:It might be a good time to remove the customize.org listing from the "important links" section of the forums.
Done. Thanks for pointing that out.