It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:34 pm

No longer recommending Customize.org

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
OriginalEXE

Re: No longer recommending Customize.org

Post by OriginalEXE »

Active Colors wrote:Not for rainmeter skins. There were at least three attemps to bring a better place for rainmeter skins during last several years, but all of them didn't blossom.

- Rainmeter Skin Gallery
- RainmeterHub
- Skinstr

I think for now deviantart stays the best home for thousands of rainmeter skins as well as the forums.
Skinstr developer here, just wanted to chime in.

A lot of time has passed since me opening that thread :) I have never finished the projects, mostly due to burn out and lack of motivation (I was the only guy on the project and it's hard to stay motivated that way). I am happy to say that I never gave up on the idea though.

A year ago, after some time has passed from me abandoning the project, I posted a thread on reddit asking for a designer to join me in the project. I was lucky enough to have a great guy contact me and we have been working on and off on the project since.

I have matured as a developer in the mean time as well. The original project that I posted screenshots of was done in WordPress which, while it is a great platform and I still earn my living using it on my day job, was not the best choice. The new web is being developed with node.js as a backend, which I love very much as javascript is much nicer language to work with than php, I cannot recommend it enough.

Anyway, the web app is much more serious now, it has been 8 months in the work so far (though we had a "resting period"), and lately I have been working non-stop on it. I'm pretty proud of what we have achieved and if you were to look at the codebase now and back when the thing was on WordPress, you would laugh :) There is still work to do though, I don't expect to have the website finished in a month, I would say two months is more realistic, but it is being worked on and in my opinion, it will be an amazing and modern platform. It's backed by a rest api which will be exposed to developers that want to make use of it, all the rendering is done client-side and there is not a single reload from landing on the website (including when logging in/out).

Long story short, don't give up on us yet, I will open the thread on the forums when we will be close to launch, and I hope there will be people ready to help us out with testing and starting the web.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

OriginalEXE wrote:Skinstr developer here, just wanted to chime in.

A lot of time has passed since me opening that thread :) I have never finished the projects, mostly due to burn out and lack of motivation (I was the only guy on the project and it's hard to stay motivated that way). I am happy to say that I never gave up on the idea though.

A year ago, after some time has passed from me abandoning the project, I posted a thread on reddit asking for a designer to join me in the project. I was lucky enough to have a great guy contact me and we have been working on and off on the project since.

I have matured as a developer in the mean time as well. The original project that I posted screenshots of was done in WordPress which, while it is a great platform and I still earn my living using it on my day job, was not the best choice. The new web is being developed with node.js as a backend, which I love very much as javascript is much nicer language to work with than php, I cannot recommend it enough.

Anyway, the web app is much more serious now, it has been 8 months in the work so far (though we had a "resting period"), and lately I have been working non-stop on it. I'm pretty proud of what we have achieved and if you were to look at the codebase now and back when the thing was on WordPress, you would laugh :) There is still work to do though, I don't expect to have the website finished in a month, I would say two months is more realistic, but it is being worked on and in my opinion, it will be an amazing and modern platform. It's backed by a rest api which will be exposed to developers that want to make use of it, all the rendering is done client-side and there is not a single reload from landing on the website (including when logging in/out).

Long story short, don't give up on us yet, I will open the thread on the forums when we will be close to launch, and I hope there will be people ready to help us out with testing and starting the web.
I'm glad you are trying to make this site as good as possible, involving different people and various techniques. I hope you will make a great site.

Good luck.
Soldiershak

Post by Soldiershak »

To be honest Customize.org always looked like it was abandoned; I always wondered why it was listed in the first place. I'm glad that it's it de-listed, but I can understand why some may be saddened by this.
canuckken

Post by canuckken »

There has be some positive changes as of 4/17/2017. No more spam for one thing.
Last edited by canuckken on April 18th, 2017, 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
winterwulf

Post by winterwulf »

Hi guys,

I think maybe you wanna update this post:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6036 [FAQ - Read before posting!]

Still link customize.org there
How to "Help us to help you":

1) If you are having a problem with a particular skin or skin suite, your best bet is to contact the original author of the skin where you got it. That might be on deviantART or Customize.org. It is in no way certain that anyone here is familiar with any particular skin, and the author is usually your best resource.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

winterwulf wrote:Hi guys,

I think maybe you wanna update this post:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6036 [FAQ - Read before posting!]

Still link customize.org there
Done, thanks.