It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:11 am

New forum look That you have been switched to

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
Yelleke

Re: New forum look/outline you have been forced to utilize.

Post by Yelleke »

I hope the black template will be easy to read.
Sometimes I even have troubles with the online manual.
It does not read clear for me and everything is too dark.
We are not all headbanging youth with a dark twist :twisted:

Saphic is a nice clear technical template wich suits my needs.
And I have tested them all.

Perhaps next time anonce if there is a new template instead of forcing it to us.
Maybee by priv_msg, we will sure check out the template as curious as we are.
At first, I tought I was somewhere else.

Just my 2 cents
:0
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

Yelleke wrote:I hope the black template will be easy to read.
Sometimes I even have troubles with the online manual.
It does not read clear for me and everything is too dark.
We are not all headbanging youth with a dark twist :twisted:

Saphic is a nice clear technical template wich suits my needs.
And I have tested them all.

Perhaps next time anonce if there is a new template instead of forcing it to us.
Maybee by priv_msg, we will sure check out the template as curious as we are.
At first, I tought I was somewhere else.

Just my 2 cents
:0
sure, it is only your opinion. but nontheless let some calm in ;)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It certainly makes no difference to us which style you prefer. We wanted to have everyone at least take a peek at the new one, and we did announce that you could easily switch back if you so desired. Unlike some changes we have made or may make in the future, we are not forcing any particular style on anyone.

Don't be misled that the administration of the forums is some kind of pure democracy and that we are going to vote on every change. We are not. Sometimes we make changes for technical reasons or to solve some admin problem, sometimes we add or change a feature because we have found an easier or better way to do it. We always welcome feedback, and things are usually not set in concrete, but the administrators of the forums will evolve it over time to meet changing technical capabilities and forum needs.

We currently have 1,691 members. While we would like to get individual sign-off from each person before we make a change, it is just not practical. Voting on changes just creates "winners" and "losers" and makes everything take ten times as long to accomplish. Changes to the forums are Sarge's domain and he has carte blanche to do what HE thinks needs to be done.

Sarge is to be thanked for the excellent job he does with administration of the forums. He works hard to make it a good experience for everyone, and is pretty successful.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Yelleke may be right to some extent.
I do go and get a head of myself quite frgeuently, and Morley-Sama stopped me from making a glorious mistake earlier.
I depend on all of you, but as Morley points out, there can not be a poll on every little decision, as we all fear the tie up in committee.

That being said:

I would also have folks understand that one of the primary reasons for this move was to promote, not just this "Style", but also to let folks know that there are other styles as well.

Apparently quite a few folks have no idea.

I also guess my wording on the initial Announcement title could have been better :Embarrassed:

So I shall edit and reword it. ;)

I have considered adding one to two more style, but I have two draw backs to this:
1.) the more the forums have, them more there is to maintain, and I have little enough time as it is.
2.) I have found none suitable.
Yelleke

Post by Yelleke »

jsmorley wrote:Sarge is to be thanked for the excellent job he does with administration of the forums. He works hard to make it a good experience for everyone, and is pretty successful.
Never said otherwise, indeed he does incredible things. :thumbsu:

And I shure don't want to have a democracy or vote for anything, never asked for such.
And, do not think I do not know what you people all do, I'm very aware of that.

However, writing this as calm as I can, it is not pleasant when things change without knowing in advance.
One mass mail had makes a difference

And for now, I'm going on a writing break, don't wat to be mis interpreted again.
:surrender:
sgtevmckay

Re: New forum look That you have been switched to

Post by sgtevmckay »

Yelleke wrote:And for now, I'm going on a writing break, don't wat to be mis interpreted again.
Do not be on Hiatus too long friend, you and your knowledge/opinions are greatly valued here, and by me ;)

I have thought about a mass mailer, but this option is purposely turned of, even to us Admin, and done so purposely.

Trust me when I tell you, you do not want me to have this capability.
You will be reading so much e-mail you will never make it to the forum :Embarrassed:

I am learning as I go, I blew it this time, and of course it can not be undone, but it is fixable. :WTF:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yelleke wrote: Never said otherwise, indeed he does incredible things. :thumbsu:

And I shure don't want to have a democracy or vote for anything, never asked for such.
And, do not think I do not know what you people all do, I'm very aware of that.

However, writing this as calm as I can, it is not pleasant when things change without knowing in advance.
One mass mail had makes a difference

And for now, I'm going on a writing break, don't wat to be mis interpreted again.
:surrender:
It's all good. Make no mistake, we appreciate feedback on any change, positive or negative. While mass PM's / emails are not my preferred method for notifications, due to the huge hit to the database that causes, Sarge does make announcements when we make big changes. This one we didn't see as a big deal, as it is about 4 clicks to set it back, but fair enough.
Jack with 4

Post by Jack with 4 »

bendenfield wrote: but personally i have to agree with Yelleke.

anyway i welcome a template that looks like the Rainmeter homepage. but rainmeter_pearl is far away from that at the moment (in my opinion).
i would like to see it in complete dark black, but probably this would harm the clarity.
I agree