It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:49 pm

Offline Rainmeter Manual

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Offline Rainmeter Manual

Post by jsmorley »

sa3er wrote:You are right but it isn't a bad idea.
What you believe is like to have no book published on any computer science cause things are evolving every second.
I have no idea how you got that impression from what I said. There are for instance TONS of books written on the C++ programming language, a small portion of which are of great value, and a larger portion of which are just a way for someone to make a quick buck. If however, you want the current documentation for C++ from Microsoft, with the most detail and the most recent changes and improvements, you go to microsoft.com.

Actually, if you still keep a three-inch thick dead-tree book on a programming language handy, given what is available online, you probably have it next to your FAX machine and typewriter.

We are quite pleased with our online documentation, have put a lot of work into it, and continue to improve it on a very regular basis, sometimes almost daily. If someone wants to write a book about Rainmeter, which will be out of date before it can be published, or wants to work the online manual into some other format, which will either also be out of date before you know it or require a dedicated long-term effort, so be it. We can't stop anyone. We only would "prefer" that folks don't. In the long haul, it will benefit nobody.

There can be many mostly pointless books about Rainmeter or out of date extracts of the manual. That's fine. If you want the most accurate, most up-to-date, and most complete documentation for Rainmeter, that can be found at http://docs.rainmeter.net/ and nowhere else.
sa3er

Post by sa3er »

Where can I get that phone :rofl:

All right you win this time, but remember internet speed and accessibility is not yet like your homeland everywhere else on earth. For example in my own country if I want to just get a 100KB per second download speed, that would cost 60 bucks per month. Let alone internet access blocking and filtering which would slow down everything as hell.
LittleSuXing

Post by LittleSuXing »

Can we translate the documentation of Rainmeter to Chinese ?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

LittleSuXing wrote:Can we translate the documentation of Rainmeter to Chinese ?
No, sorry.

Aside from the fact that it would be very difficult to get an accurate translation for what is a technical manual, with options and values that must not be translated, creating a useful translation of even the explanations would require both an expert fluency in Chinese and an extensive understanding of every option and behavior in Rainmeter.

I shudder to think how even the most native Chinese speaker with an advanced mathematics degree and a couple of years experience with Rainmeter would attempt to translate Transformation Matrix Guide.

In addition, the manual is very dynamic and changes quite often. It would be an impossibly hard and ongoing task to maintain any translations.

This is not something we intend to attempt, nor would we support anyone else doing so, unless it was purely for their own use, in which case we would wish them 好运.
YannosB

Post by YannosB »

Mr Morley...
while you prefer this and that, being all fine. Some like not having the slogginess of internet bogging things down whilst they create. So, best bet is to give both, right?
Also, as one considering working with Rainmeter.... tis alwas better to see developers who understand the concept that: tis better to make the audience happy, than thy self.
FYI
Finally, as a developer, when I put things out for others, I include all the compnents... or, if making the base pkg. small... I at least include the supporting links (re: the VC and .net includes) on the same page as the DL. Rainmeters, however the only clue one gets is when theyattemp to install... then come back and find nothing n the DL page about where to get your includes. I visit this forum and found the \redist link... others might not go that far, thus they move on to other options in other places... FYI
YannosB

Post by YannosB »

And thank you for you little site rip. :)

(BTW Mr. Morley... I would ave no trouble updating my off line Documentation, thus keepin git current.)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

YannosB wrote:Mr Morley...
while you prefer this and that, being all fine. Some like not having the slogginess of internet bogging things down whilst they create. So, best bet is to give both, right?
Also, as one considering working with Rainmeter.... tis alwas better to see developers who understand the concept that: tis better to make the audience happy, than thy self.
FYI
Finally, as a developer, when I put things out for others, I include all the compnents... or, if making the base pkg. small... I at least include the supporting links (re: the VC and .net includes) on the same page as the DL. Rainmeters, however the only clue one gets is when theyattemp to install... then come back and find nothing n the DL page about where to get your includes. I visit this forum and found the \redist link... others might not go that far, thus they move on to other options in other places... FYI
We appreciate your comments. There is a perfectly good and current offline version of the manual in the first post of this thread, and for all the reasons I have already given, we have no intention at this time of going any further with that to create or support .pdf or language specific versions.

As to the \redist link for the times that someone needs to manually install the C++ or .NET runtimes, I think that is a reasonable point. We will look at a way to make that more clear. It does come up from time to time, with "portable" installations, and some folks who have a slightly borked current setup.
LittleSuXing

Post by LittleSuXing »

Sir I find the BarOrientation's Default value actually is Vertical,but in Docs there is Horizontal.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

LittleSuXing wrote:Sir I find the BarOrientation's Default value actually is Vertical,but in Docs there is Horizontal.
You are correct and I have fixed the manual. Thanks for reporting.
AlteSchule

Post by AlteSchule »

jsmorley wrote:I have made a copy of the Rainmeter documentation website using

HTTrack Website
http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html

You can grab the file below, and unzip it to have a full copy of all Rainmeter documentation while offline.

I will endeavor to keep this .zip file reasonably current.

Rainmeter Documentation Zip File
I'm totally new to Rainmeter and un-schooled in this kind of development, so the manual is for me, a dramatic improvement over NO MANUAL. Thank you for taking (what must have been an inordinate length of time) the time to read a little, write a little, cogitate, nudge, nudge, clip, paste and so forth. Not my idea of a bunch of fun at all.

On the other hand, it may have been no trouble at all for you, in which case, just pardon me for making a wild haired guess. :)

I expect to benefit due to your efforts.

I really LIKE Rainmeter. It's very cool.