It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:33 am

DEVART linking suggestion

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

DEVART linking suggestion

Post by eclectic-tech »

While browsing the 'Share Your Creations' forum, any DEVART link loads in the SAME TAB...

Is it possible to have it opens in a separate tab/window?

That way it can be left open, you can continue browsing the forums, and go back to the DEVART page(s) later (it seems a more intuitive process).

I know it's just a push of the 'Back' button, but then the DEVART page(s) are no longer available without traveling back through the posts again.

Thanks for considering.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: DEVART linking suggestion

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote:While browsing the 'Share Your Creations' forum, any DEVART link loads in the SAME TAB...

Is it possible to have it opens in a separate tab/window?

That way it can be left open, you can continue browsing the forums, and go back to the DEVART page(s) later (it seems a more intuitive process).

I know it's just a push of the 'Back' button, but then the DEVART page(s) are no longer available without traveling back through the posts again.

Thanks for considering.
All links in phpbb open in the same window. It is part of the core code that we won't change, as first, making it specific to external links and not internal ones is more code than it is worth, and second, it would put our ability to upgrade the software at risk.

You can simply right click any link and say "open in a new tab".
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

jsmorley wrote:All links in phpbb open in the same window. It is part of the core code that we won't change, as first, making it specific to external links and not internal ones is more code than it is worth, and second, it would put our ability to upgrade the software at risk.

You can simply right click any link and say "open in a new tab".
That doesn't work for the DevArt tags because it is flash. I am not sure if we can edit that or not.

-Brian
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Brian wrote: That doesn't work for the DevArt tags because it is flash. I am not sure if we can edit that or not.

-Brian
Not that I would want to change it anyway, as I don't like links in pages to spawn new tabs in my browser unless I ask them to, but no, that is a function of their flash "widget" that we just embed in our page.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

If you right click on the actual name that is displayed, the option for "open in new window" will come up. Firefox, (don't know about chrome) has the option to "open new windows in a new tab instead".
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

smurfier wrote:If you right click on the actual name that is displayed, the option for "open in new window" will come up. Firefox, (don't know about chrome) has the option to "open new windows in a new tab instead".
Ah, I didn't notice that their widget provided the name as a separate action in flash. Yeah, that works.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

smurfier wrote:If you right click on the actual name that is displayed, the option for "open in new window" will come up. Firefox, (don't know about chrome) has the option to "open new windows in a new tab instead".
Ah.. Never noticed that. :)

-Brian
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Brian wrote: Ah.. Never noticed that. :)

-Brian
Thanks for pointing out the Title option: in Chrome it says in "new window", but then opens a "new tab".

I almost always use right-click on links to control how they open, but missed the Title link difference! :uhuh:

Thanks!