It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:08 pm

The search box on the DOC's page?

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
bobgrosh

The search box on the DOC's page?

Post by bobgrosh »

I always used it. Just me, but I can't find anything through the index. I sure do miss the search box. Will it come back?
smurfier

Re: The search box on the DOC's page?

Post by smurfier »

It's at the bottom of the Nav Bar which is to the left of the Manual pages.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

Lord, I'm getting old. Or... I need to change the contrast on my monitor settings.

I really did look for it. I swear!

Thanks
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

actually it's good you reported that.
i agree that it is not easy to see. also i think the position at the bottom is not good, as as soon as you have expanded the tree a little a user has to scroll the page to get to it.
how about putting the search box in the top bar? and using a higher contrast background (=white) for the search box? why not adding a little icon?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex Becherer wrote:actually it's good you reported that.
i agree that it is not easy to see. also i think the position at the bottom is not good, as as soon as you have expanded the tree a little a user has to scroll the page to get to it.
how about putting the search box in the top bar? and using a higher contrast background (=white) for the search box? why not adding a little icon?
We have moved it to the top of the sidebar instead of the bottom, as I think it is easier to spot there. We will look at additional visual changes as well, I think the magnifying glass icon is a good idea. Very standard for search boxes.

It really shouldn't be on the top navigation bar though, as it is not a "site" search, but specific to the documentation contained in the sidebar navigation.
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

Thanks for putting it at the top.
My guess is that the text is grey rather then Black and bold for a reason, so a bright red Arrow or a magnifying glass to the left of the search box might make it even easier to find.

As it is, it is still much easier to find now.
CybOrSpasm

Post by CybOrSpasm »

I had a hard time as well, even after you moved it to the top left. It just didn't look like the typical text input box.
I have noticed, that when on any internet site and looking for their search option, I tend to scan the page for a white box and blinky text line. It's just kind of ingrained in us I think...
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

CybOrSpasm wrote:I had a hard time as well, even after you moved it to the top left. It just didn't look like the typical text input box.
I have noticed, that when on any internet site and looking for their search option, I tend to scan the page for a white box and blinky text line. It's just kind of ingrained in us I think...
What you see now is a temporary solution. A better solution will be up shortly.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

The search area has been updated to address the concerns raised here. Let us know what you think :)
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

looks good.
personally i'd still prefer a white background for the search box, and italic text.