It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:41 am

Small docs suggestions

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
Jeff

Small docs suggestions

Post by Jeff »

Would it be worth it updating the Lunching Special Folders Guide with whatever Microsoft is trying to do with their Windows 10 UWP apps?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/launch-resume/launch-settings-app

I feel like it would be something to have at least some uwp stuff on the docs, better than teaching users the horror of getting UWP shortcut paths
(anyone can make the guide but it will only be available with people with administrative accounts, so people on stuff like work laptops won't be able to shortcut uwp apps, they could just copy the path of the shortcut created on the desktop but this will only clutter the desktop even more)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Small docs suggestions

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, I'll look into that.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/meters/general-options/#WH
Can String and Shape meters and meters which display an image file be changed to String, Shape, and meters which display an image file?
Right now it's really a mouthful to say.
If not, you can always use the oxford comma and transform it to String and Shape meters, and meters which display an image file. (i think)
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Rainmeter Docs wrote:Specifies the width and height of the meter in pixels. The W and H must be defined for all meters except the following: String, Shape, and meters which can display an image file. These meters can determine the width and height automatically.
How's that?

-Brian
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Brian wrote: September 25th, 2020, 5:45 am How's that?

-Brian
Idiomatic, concise, and erudite.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Brian wrote: September 25th, 2020, 5:45 am How's that?
Academic, it's much better, thanks!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Well suggestion numero duo

Right now with NowPlaying's Spotify you can only capture Artist and Track and it's bangs
However, spicetify-cli exists, which can inject custom .css and .js files inside Spotify (both desktop and Windows Store versions).
Khanhas has made a .js file/extension for spicetify-cli which interjects WebNowPlaying's WebSocket port to just send the music data to Rainmeter.
Could spicetify-cli be added to the NowPlaying page as well? Khan wrote a guide on what Rainmeter users should do to make webnowplaying.js work.

The only reason I'm brining this up is because the CAD player requires a third-party file as well, and since it seems that the creator of the NowPlaying measure is busy right now, I think it would be nice to have an alternative/workaround like spicetify-cli on the site.
Only problem with spicetify-cli is the installation process since some people don't have PowerShell or Cmd access because of one marvelous feature with Windows called Group Policies, but that's all.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I really don't know why I made this image, but !DisableMouseAction suggests that you need a meter, yet in the examples one of the meters use a reserved special section, is it because of BackgroundMode? No clue, [Rainmeter] is just not a meter, I know * and Rainmeter accomplish the same thing, but this is a bit confusing
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jeff wrote: January 4th, 2021, 2:44 am Image

I really don't know why I made this image, but !DisableMouseAction suggests that you need a meter, yet in the examples one of the meters use a reserved special section, is it because of BackgroundMode? No clue, [Rainmeter] is just not a meter, I know * and Rainmeter accomplish the same thing, but this is a bit confusing
This feels just a bit nit-picky to me. It does clearly state that "Note: Meter can also be the [Rainmeter] section". So although the [Rainmeter] section is not a meter, it can support some meter-ific functionality like SolidColor and mouse actions. The long and the short of it is that while mouse actions are generally on meters, they are fully supported in the [Rainmeter] section when there is a background. So we certainly needed to include this in the new bangs that control mouse actions. I think we were pretty clear that these work on either a meter or the [Rainmeter] section, and gave an example... At no point did we suggest that the [Rainmeter] section was a meter.

I don't find that page particularly confusing.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: January 4th, 2021, 4:58 am I don't find that page particularly confusing.
There for sure is nothing confusing. It's pretty clear in my opinion as well.